Post Your Chocolates, Dun ,Khaki , Platinum Bird Pics

Pics
I do have some boys in the same hatch that are also looking a darker brown then her but when they hatched, they were a different color. she was tan and they hatched brown. but of course I always look at the boys and say are you really black and not brown? but the girl is definately not black. in the picture, girl is on the left, black boy on the right, notice the head color. she was all tannish brown when hatched. the brown boys are all dark when they hatch out.

I'm pretty sure the "Chocolates" that Tony was/is producing are actually Dun birds, not true sex linked Chocolate. I'm betting your girl is a Dark dun hen. The way to figure it out would be to breed her to a Black rooster, if she is Dun 50% of her offspring will be Dun and the other 50% will be Black.

I just wanted to share my success, I finally hatched a single (so far) chocolate pullet from my Chocolate Araucana project pen. These are large fowl and the chick has double tufts and is rumpless so it's a great start for my project. I hope there will be more, these are true sex linked/recessive chocolates from a chocolate Orpington cross rooster.

She just hatched this morning so she's still wet. I took these 2 outside for natural lighting to be sure my eyes and the indoor lighting weren't messing with me. She is obviously chocolate

Very cool smoothmule!
thumbsup.gif
Congratulations!

Jeremy,
Thanks, I am so excited. There is still a lot to do, number one is to get this pullet to laying age, lol. So many dumb things can happen to a chick.

She's fluffing up more, I just can't believe the luck that she's also rumpless/tufted. That's hard enough to accomplish with purebred Araucana's. I have at least 2 yrs of work ahead of me. I've had so many offers already of people wanting to help me with my project and wanting chicks, really? It took months to get this one pullet chick. I don't want a lot of mutt chicks everywhere. None of them will leave here until I have some good quality Chocolate Araucana's that would meet the ACA standard other than color. This is definitely my project. There are a couple more breeders that are working on the same but I don't know if they have hatched any yet, I kind of doubt it or I would have heard. I can't wait for more and for them to grow up to see what they're going to look like.

Jeremy,
Thanks, I am so excited. There is still a lot to do, number one is to get this pullet to laying age, lol. So many dumb things can happen to a chick.

She's fluffing up more, I just can't believe the luck that she's also rumpless/tufted. That's hard enough to accomplish with purebred Araucana's. I have at least 2 yrs of work ahead of me. I've had so many offers already of people wanting to help me with my project and wanting chicks, really? It took months to get this one pullet chick. I don't want a lot of mutt chicks everywhere. None of them will leave here until I have some good quality Chocolate Araucana's that would meet the ACA standard other than color. This is definitely my project. There are a couple more breeders that are working on the same but I don't know if they have hatched any yet, I kind of doubt it or I would have heard. I can't wait for more and for them to grow up to see what they're going to look like.

WOW, Smoothmule, CONGRATULATIONS!!! I'm willing to bet this is going to be one very-pampered bird!
highfive.gif

Back
Top Bottom