Post your citron - lemon - silver D'uccle projects, especially chick photos!

Silver....OR....Gold.....OR.....nothing

• Silver

Votes: 9 81.8%
  • Gold

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Normal

Votes: 3 27.3%

• Total voters
neither Buff/Lemon or Citroen Spangled Hamburgs will be a good genetic way to Citroen(recessive cream gene) Duccle, your best option is to get yourself a Cream Dutch bantam, they wont bring any unwanted dominant gene to your flock, basically they are ALL wildtype like the Red Jungle Fowl except for the cream gene, buff has lots of unwanted genes, Citroen spangled Hamburgs do carry cream BUT they have about 5 dominant genes you dont want near your breeding pens
Like which genes? I do want the spangled/mottling, but I don't want that crest. And half my birds do seem to sport red shoulders, like in the jungle fowl, if that's what you are talking about. I'm playing with the genes that create a pumpkin effect. What are your thoughts?

Like which genes? I do want the spangled/mottling, but I don't want that crest. And half my birds do seem to sport red s?
first Mottling is a single autosomal recessive gene, Spangling is a combination of many linked genes, so fist you have to decide which you want most, and if you think a crest is the only dominant gene you are introducing to your flock with spangled birds, then your missguieded..

here are the dominant genes you dont want on your breeding program..

Rosecomb(you want single comb)
ER(Birchen, Mille fleurs are based on eb or e+)
Melanotic
Pg(pattern gene)
Db(dark brown)

if you want to introduce the Citroen(cream gene) gene to your breeding program a Cream Dutch bantam is the best way to go about, they are wildtype for all genes, except cream but you want cream so thats actually a good point

I'm playing with the genes that create a pumpkin effect. What are your thoughts?
so far those genes are unknown to us genetic geeks, we have(at least I) have some ideas and hypothesis as what is at play on the pumking phenotype but if you know please let us know.

I myself I´m working on Isolating Dominant Dilute(Di, responsible for the lemon color on lemon buff cochins) once I have this gene pinned down I´ll be doing alot of test mating to other genetic background but my goal for now is to isolate it on a wildtype e+ duckwing background.. I´m close but no there yet, it very very complicated not for the average breeder

Thanks for the input.
I have my ideas about pumpkin. What I noticed in my birds, I'll call pumpkin, is that the hair shaft seems hollow, or translucent, allow for that extra glow you see on the reds/pumpkin/oranges/lemons. It's my belief that this is a hair shaft gene on mahoghany+pumpkin and the differences in color can be attributed to a red diluter. This is similar to the champagne gene in horses. The hair shaft is different/translucent from the other horses, causing a metallic sheen to the coat.
This is why I do want to procede with figuring out the pumpkin, plus using the mahoghany and melanotic for the differences in the cocopop type coloring. The coloring I am shooting for is this:
stanfordpond.jpg

or perhaps this

images
images

I realize that I've just showed pictures with several different genes involved. Some are silver, chocolate or the mahoghany/pumpkin/lemon and gold. I'm really after the different shades in their tail feathers. Do you know what pattern type that is?

neither Buff/Lemon or Citroen Spangled Hamburgs will be a good genetic way to Citroen(recessive cream gene) Duccle, your best option is to get yourself a Cream Dutch bantam, they wont bring any unwanted dominant gene to your flock, basically they are ALL wildtype like the Red Jungle Fowl except for the cream gene, buff has lots of unwanted genes, Citroen spangled Hamburgs do carry cream BUT they have about 5 dominant genes you dont want near your breeding pens
I have also purchase a pair of cream light brown dutch bantams, due to arrive this week. These are them.

My cream light brown dutchs have arrived. The male roo was injured in shipping, but he seems to be doing better, so I believe he will make it. My little spangled hamburg is getting his first tiny spangles. I'm interested in seeing exactly what color lemon is, as I've only seen it on the screen. My little seramas hen is laying eggs, she is mating with my pumpkin, so those eggs will be interesting to see what pops out, as I don't believe she is simply a buff. She is pink, not buff.

My cream light brown dutchs have arrived. The male roo was injured in shipping, but he seems to be doing better, so I believe he will make it. My little spangled hamburg is getting his first tiny spangles. I'm interested in seeing exactly what color lemon is, as I've only seen it on the screen. My little seramas hen is laying eggs, she is mating with my pumpkin, so those eggs will be interesting to see what pops out, as I don't believe she is simply a buff. She is pink, not buff.
what are your breeding goals? seems you have alot on your hands,

Back
Top Bottom