Post your FIRST EGG pics!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cool, haha! they look like my Wyandotte's eggs (same color) She quietly snuck them in there ;)

I don't know how I missed #1 and #2 because I've looked each day since the first of December, but I found three together. One of them is first. I believe they're from my Wyandotte (vs. Brahma who is the same age) since I caught the Wyandotte in the nest box and got another egg today.

I was wondering when my hen would start laying...figured since it was cold and the days were short, she would wait until spring. I was wrong. By about a week. I found 9 eggs hidden in a back corner of the coop. I didn't think any of the birds were going back there since they're always out front when I let them out in the morning!
Wow! what a nice surprise!!
thumbsup.gif

VERY nice! And pretty hens you have there!! Is that a Silkie I see in the background? What type is the black? (But...William, and Tyrone? For hens? bwahahahaha)
Yes!!!!! They have finally done it!!!!
yesss.gif
yippiechickie.gif
woot.gif
ya.gif
The first egg that I have found, buttttt I don't know who laid it. I think it might be from my Production Red (William, 23 weeks old) since she has been acting, I guess more friendly, and seemed to be looking for places to lay while my Jersey Giant (Tyrone, 22 weeks old) didn't act so different. Plus I probably missed the egg song (if there was one) because I was in school.

That was where I found it, not even in the nest box I made for them...

The Two possible layers in front.

Next to a store bought egg (white) for comparison. Not bad for a first timer.

Cityfarma,

Congratulations! That looks like a wonderufl first egg,,, darn good size at that. Is that a BA in your picture? I'm guessing the egg came from her... it looks a lot like my BA"s color egg. I know they are all different,,but that is my guess!

Pretty birds!
MB
Thank you. I believe it is a BA. reason on next on. Thanks for making me rethink it.

Since Alan said he has a Jersey Giant, I'm guessing that is the black bird. I gather they look a lot like Black Australorps only bigger.

Congrats! I found the first egg outside the coop over by the water faucet. I still have girl(s??) that think laying on the coop floor is just fine.
hmm.png
Is that third bird an E.E.? Looks like my Andromeda. She lays blue eggs. Soooo, why did you give all your girls male names?

Bruce
VERY nice! And pretty hens you have there!! Is that a Silkie I see in the background? What type is the black? (But...William, and Tyrone? For hens? bwahahahaha)
Thank you. Yes it is a Silkie. Haha The names were given like that because we didn't know whether they would be girls or boys so we just left their names like that. William was named after Wilson who turned out to be a rooster (both Wilson(sold) and William were PRs), Tyrone was named Tyrone idk why its my cousin's, the silkie is Penguino (looked like a penguin when it was younger), and the EE is Arty (for the design she had/has on her feathers).

First Eggs from 2 ameracanas, one Buff Orp, one Barnvelder. Still waiting on two more holdouts a Barnvelder and Buff Orp. They started 12.16.12 at 8 months old.
yesss.gif

My gals made me wait 24 weeks and 2 days... Then three decided to lay today! No idea who laid the brown eggs but the pretty blue came from my Easter Egger!

My girls have not started laying yet! They are 26 weeks old and we live in Seattle so it is dark early right now ( and yes rainy ;) I have a bantam easter egger, silver wyndotte, australorp and a partridge rock. I switched them to layer pellets a month ago. Was that too early? I don't have electricity out there would that make a big difference? Is there a way I can encourage my girls or is this a time to be patient?

Thanks for any insight!
C

My gals made me wait 24 weeks and 2 days... Then three decided to lay today! No idea who laid the brown eggs but the pretty blue came from my Easter Egger!
Oh how lovely!
Mine just started laying New Year's Eve! I got 4 eggs today!

My girls have not started laying yet! They are 26 weeks old and we live in Seattle so it is dark early right now ( and yes rainy ;)

I switched them to layer pellets a month ago. Was that too early? I don't have electricity out there would that make a big difference? Is there a way I can encourage my girls or is this a time to be patient?

Thanks for any insight!
C

I think you'll need to be patient. The only way to "force" them I have heard is to have minimally 12 hours of light a day, ideally 14 hours. And, even if you started that today, it would take a couple of weeks to reset their "time of year" clock.

Not too early on the layer since you never know. The earliest of mine started at 20 weeks. I think one still isn't laying at almost 7 months. Either that or she is SUPER stealth chicken.

Are their combs and wattles starting to get red?
Are they squatting?
Being uncommonly friendly (like they are looking for reassurance because they feel 'odd')?
Poking around in darker corners, like they are checking out nesting areas? If so, put them in the nest box so they will check it out and include it as a likely place to lay.

Those were all signs of "laying soon" for my girls.

Bruce

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom