Post your FIRST EGG pics!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been waiting on pins and needles for the past two weeks just waiting for one of my ameraucanas to start laying (she started squatting 2 weeks ago, has a red comb and face, is 26 weeks, etc), but so far nothing. We've been getting frost at night lately, and this morning it was especially heavy so I decided to go pick all the big green tomatoes. After picking them I started pulling out the plants (they are just massive!) and look what I found..

IMG_9802.jpg

IMG_9803.jpg

There were NINE blue eggs hiding in there!!! That naughty Ginger!

IMG_9806.jpg

IMG_9808.jpg

And here's the culprit

IMG_9790.jpg

IMG_9795.jpg

Last edited:
Wow what a beautiful clutch of eggs! Naughty girl... She knew just where to hide them though, didn't she.

Well now you know so you can find them. Congrats!

Congratulations Cocotte! Those are beautiful eggs laid in a lovely tomato patch by a gorgeous hen!! So happy you found them
smile.png

Quote:
The plants were so huge there was no way to get a good look down in there, what a surprise though when I pulled them out! Such a sneaky girl!

Quote:
Thanks! I'm so glad I found them too! Who knows how many more she would have hidden in there if I hadn't decided to pull out the tomato plants today!

I've got all my girls under house arrest for a while in hopes she'll start laying in the nest box.. I sure hope she does, and that when I let her out again she doesn't just go find another hiding spot!

69204_68297_1489936772547_1357817166_31261672_3987863_n.jpg

We got these on Sunday my oldest was so thrilled that all he could say on the phone was we got eggs. over and over again..

Oh by the way they started laying the day after I got out of town!!!!! don't you know that's the way it always works!!

I saw my smooth faced EE Pook squat the other day, and figured she was getting ready to lay. That, and she's getting wattles, and the skin around her eyes is very red. Now, I can't know for 100%, but I'm pretty sure this is hers:
51059_100_8361.jpg

The brown one is store bought, because my almost-2 y.o. SS ands NHR aren't laying right now.

I have been scouring the barn, looking for eggs, because I haven't been getting any for about 2 weeks from the older hens either. A little voice told me to go and check by the wood pile, and voila, there it was!! Finally. I think she is 21 weeks.

51059_100_8306.jpg

Our last chicken of 6 is now laying. The last "first egg" pic, but I'll still be subscribed to this thread--it's always cool to see the first eggs!
63816_1st_6th_chickens_egg.jpg

63816_2nd_first_6th_chickens_egg.jpg

We were all very excited to discover this little brown egg in the nesting box on Tuesday. It's from "Snap" the Buff Orpington at 25 weeks now the 2 EE's better figure out how it's done before we change their names from Flower and Buffalo to Baked and Fried.
smile.png

65990_1stegg.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom