Post your Pop Door (and lock) pics

Here is my pop door. I use an cord tied to an eye bolt on the door, then ran the cord through another eye bolt on a rafter to open and close from outside the run. There is a loop knot in the cord that gets wrapped around a third eye bolt on the outside of the run to hold the door open. It works well, though I have been planning to replace the existing hinges with spring hinges too, hopefully soon.
30865_nesting_boxes_and_chickens_023.jpg

30865_chick_in_the_run_003.jpg

All you have to do is cut a hole through the tin, add metal or wood trim to cover the exposed edges and frame out the opening, then put the sliding popdoor on the INSIDE of the building so that it does not interfere on the ridges of the tin. (Putting it on the inside also makes it easier to have it close down well past the sill of the opening to make it more predatorproof)

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

I tried the belt and suspenders approach. I have a hinged pop door that swings down and forms a platform for the chickens to perch on to enter the coop. Then, inside, I have a sliding door. I have to tinker with the sliding door design this spring because I sand keeps gumming up the bottom track.

Pictures are on my BYC page.

The coop isnt finished yet, but the door is complete.

We used the little lock at the bottom, and turned it upside down so a racoon or other smart critter would have to not only hold the knob up and to the side, but lift the door open at the same time.
On the inside of the door is a little hook, that will clip to the eye at the top right. The door is flush, and the fit is tight so it cant close accidently.

49568__2pp4289aa.jpg

Mine is on the interior and slides. I have it on a rope and pulley so it can be opened from the door.

Something I've been wondering is if I had put it about 4' off the ground and had a small landing, would I need to close it at night? My birds could easily get in and out and it would be hard for coons or other predators to jump that high and hold on.

Quote:
Hubby rigged this up for us and it has worked out great. It is a $2 electrical connector that is threaded and will screw into a 2" hole. There are different sized available

100_2987.jpg

100_3660.jpg

100_3658.jpg

100_3636.jpg

100_3632.jpg

You could use a slider piece of wood that would go "lock" the door closed at night

ETA: Kathymo, I just reread your post and misunderstood what you were saying... Patandchickens is right on.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom