Potato Peels

justduckie

In the Brooder
12 Years
Apr 30, 2007
Is it ok to give my chicks potato peels? I made some french fries tonight and saved the peels but don't know if it's ok to feed them. I'm saving them till someone tells me is ok.
tongue.png

It is my understanding that chickens dont like root plants, and probably wont eat them. Not that they are bad for them, they just dont like them. you can see if they will, but dont be suprised if they dont gobble it up.

If you feed any part of potato, I have the understanding that they have to be cooked first because uncooked, they are undigestible and cause problems with digestion and possibly illness. I put our (cooked) potato peels in the compost pile and the chickens have scratched through them, but never eaten them. ~ Oaknim

OK! Well, I'll cook them in the morning and try it out. If they don't like them, I just throw them in my new compost pile.
wink.png

Remember if they have any GREEN bits, to throw them away or compost them. Even people are not supposed to eat the green spots on potatoes because they can be toxic.

Last edited:
The toxin is solanine--a glycoalkaloid, toxic in small amounts. The entire potato plant contains solanine as well, that's why I keep my garden fenced off from chickens.
As long as you cook the peelings, your chickens will be fine.
Stephanie

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom