Potential Rooster

It might be a Black Cochin or a Black Langshan.
Both of those have feathered feet and single combs.

Which hatchery did you get them from? Sometimes looking through the hatchery website can help figure out what breed it is.
I got them from Cackle Hatchery. I did look and it seems like I have 2 options from looking at the babies they show. I forget what names they were because it’s been a while. But her pattern hasn’t changed much since we got her. Our yellow birds are turning white, some with dark spots so just white. This one and the grayish blue ones aren’t changing much.

The trick, especially when you have young children, is to name your birds things that humans eat. Omelet. N'Fries. Kay-Ef-Cee (Kentucky Fried Chicken), Quiche, etc. In this way, you can very occasionally remind your child that someday in the future, this beautiful animal will make the ultimate sacrifice for our survival. Now is when to let your kids know where food comes from, and show them that you can eat your livestock AND love them every day until that final, fateful moment when they become dinner.
This isn’t a bad idea! Thank you!! I know my kids understand where their food comes from…I try to be very open, but this is the first time we have owned any animals that can become dinner.

I got them from Cackle Hatchery. I did look and it seems like I have 2 options from looking at the babies they show. I forget what names they were because it’s been a while.
I only see 2 kinds of black chickens with single combs and feathered feet on Cackle's website: Black Cochin, and French Black Marans. So they are probably the ones you found, too. (No Langshans, so I guessed wrong on that one.)

But her pattern hasn’t changed much since we got her. Our yellow birds are turning white, some with dark spots so just white. This one and the grayish blue ones aren’t changing much.
Yes, some kinds of chickens change color as they grow and some do not. It can be fun to watch :)

I only see 2 kinds of black chickens with single combs and feathered feet on Cackle's website: Black Cochin, and French Black Marans. So they are probably the ones you found, too. (No Langshans, so I guessed wrong on that one.)

Yes, some kinds of chickens change color as they grow and some do not. It can be fun to watch :)
I’m really excited to see how they turn out. Today I took them back outside and I noticed 2 (one started out grey the other black) were almost looking alike. Either they aren’t going to be anything alike or one might be a male and the other a female.

I attached the pics of the 2. Circled where it wasn’t obvious but they aren’t the greatest pics anyway. They are movers and shakers lol

Attachments

• EC4A665D-D57C-451F-BD61-E8D8C39A18DF.jpeg
    EC4A665D-D57C-451F-BD61-E8D8C39A18DF.jpeg
    900.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 6BBCE407-7510-4EEF-82C9-6D8BF21836E4.jpeg
    6BBCE407-7510-4EEF-82C9-6D8BF21836E4.jpeg
    975.8 KB · Views: 1
  • ADBF0991-1E75-41D6-B9F2-E6601562AE05.jpeg
    ADBF0991-1E75-41D6-B9F2-E6601562AE05.jpeg
    666.7 KB · Views: 1
I’m really excited to see how they turn out. Today I took them back outside and I noticed 2 (one started out grey the other black) were almost looking alike. Either they aren’t going to be anything alike or one might be a male and the other a female.

I attached the pics of the 2. Circled where it wasn’t obvious but they aren’t the greatest pics anyway. They are movers and shakers lol
Those two look like Easter Eggers to me.

There is a chicken gene called "blue," that turns black into a shade of gray. So it's quite possible to have two chickens that look identical, except that one is black-and-brown while the other is gray-and-brown.

The blue gene has nothing to do with the gender of the chicks, so they could easily be the same gender as each other, or different genders.

Those two look like Easter Eggers to me.

There is a chicken gene called "blue," that turns black into a shade of gray. So it's quite possible to have two chickens that look identical, except that one is black-and-brown while the other is gray-and-brown.

The blue gene has nothing to do with the gender of the chicks, so they could easily be the same gender as each other, or different genders.
Ok! I thought they were Easter eggers too. I know I have a few of those. I just noticed how much alike the colors where.

This isn’t a bad idea! Thank you!! I know my kids understand where their food comes from…I try to be very open, but this is the first time we have owned any animals that can become dinner.
Also wanted to give a story that this conversation reminded me of. We have semis all the time driving around with pigs in it. We have Farmland in a town north of us and another place in a town south of us that butchers pigs. So when my second oldest asked where they were going I told her they were going to be slaughtered for meat. At the time she was 5. She obviously asked what slaughtered was…so I told her that pork chops come from pigs and they have to kill pigs to get the pork chops. She said well I’m not going to eat pork chops again. So knowing she loves bacon, I told her well bacon and sausage come from pigs too. She was so mad but said “well I’m going to eat bacon still. I just won’t think about it”. Know when we see the trucks, she is 11, she said I bacon!!! 😂

Males when they hit the ages 5-6(Some Sooner)months start getting a high surge of hormones, that makes them show offs, start fighting for dominance, breeding hens/pullets, or occasionally being total jerks towards other birds, or people. But every cockerel is an individual, not all are buttheads when they hit puberty. Out of all my roos, only 2 are buttheads.
SO they're just like 14 year old humans :) I taught 8th grade for 22 years!!!

Back
Top Bottom