Poultry Book Review

Possible additions to template:

PG - number of pages
DT - date first published
HC - hard cover
SC - soft cover
PH - contains photographs
IL - contains illustrations

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Thanks Bonhuer I've updated the template accordingly.

Folks when you post a book review don't worry about going back so much and updating your review to match the latest template.

I would rather have reviewers just keep posting and making new listings. Later if you feel like updating your listings that would be great but that's entirely up to you.

I am also going to post the template by itself from time to time as the string develops so people don't have to keep looking for it.

Cheers

JA

Last edited:
Book Review Format Template:

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Title:[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Author:[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Publisher/Date:[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ISBN:[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Price/Link:
(provide the price you paid, where you bought it, if it was a gift and how much you found it for on sites like Amazon.)
[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Page Count: [/FONT]

Rating:

(1 poor...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10 excellent)

Special Attributes:

MH: a must have reference VT: very technical WE: well written easy to understand AB: advanced breeding BR: good beginner reference HC: Hardcover SC: Soft Cover
CPH: contains color photos WPH: contains black and white photos WCP: contains colored plates
IL: contains illustrations DB: contains diagrams/blueprints

Category:

([FONT=Times New Roman, serif]1. Beginner/Laymen 2. Hobbyist/Small Holder 3. Fancier/Show 4. Breeder/Genetics 5. Hatchery 6. Production Laying Flock 7. Production Meat Flock)[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Review:[/FONT]

Title: The Mating and Breeding of Poultry

Author: Harry Lamon and Rob R. Slocum (senior poultrymen at the Bureau of Animal Industry for the US Dept of Agriculture)

Publisher:
00a9.png
2003 The Lyons Press
Originally published in 1920 by the Orange Judd Company

Pages: 341

ISBN: 978-1-58574-814-3

Price/Link: $10.98 at Amazon.com
Or you can read it (here) online for free.
openlibrary.org books- read online, or PDF, etc

Rating: 9

Special Attributes: WE, AB, BR,
MH: a must have reference VT: very technical WE: well written easy to understand AB: advanced breeding BR: good beginner reference

Category: 3, 4,
(1. Beginner/Laymen 2. Hobbyist/Small Holder 3. Fancier/Show 4. Breeder/Genetics 5. Hatchery 6. Production Laying Flock 7. Production Meat Flock)

Review: This book has alot of breed specific information. I was interested in the chapters on principles of breeding. My interest, when obtaining this book, was to learn about double mating of Barred Plymouth Rocks. The information I found is very detailed and exactly what I was looking for. Photos and illustrations are pertinent and helpful. This book teaches you what to look for when culling, as well as what to look for in choosing your breeding pens. I feel this is a valuable book, and was happy to see it reprinted.

Okay Kathy you're showing off now! Seriously though, you have just pulled a classic and a breeders cornerstone from the shelf for review. Mr. Lamon and Mr. Slocum were gentleman and a superb teachers as evidenced in their book you've just reviewed. In their second book "Ducks and Geese" (published in 1922) is the companion to this classic for those interested more in waterfowl.

Okay Kathy you're showing off now! Seriously though, you have just pulled a classic and a breeders cornerstone from the shelf for review. Mr. Lamon and Mr. Slocum were gentleman and a superb teachers as evidenced in their book you've just reviewed. In their second book "Ducks and Geese" (published in 1922) is the companion to this classic for those interested more in waterfowl.

I happen to come across that book while I was looking for the online version of the other one. Though I have no interest in waterfowl, I saved the link.
You can read "Ducks and Geese," online for free, here.

Last edited:
Title: Choosing and Keeping Chickens

Author: Chris Graham

Publisher/Date: Octopus Publishing Group Ltd, 2006

ISBN: 0-7938-0601-1

Price/Link: I received this as a birthday gift from my great great nephew. On Amazon I've found it for about $12.00
(provide the price you paid, where you bought it, if it was a gift and how much you found it for on sites like Amazon.)

Page Count: 208

Rating: 8

Special Attributes: WE BR SC CPH

MH: a must have reference VT: very technical WE: well written easy to understand AB: advanced breeding BR: good beginner reference HC: Hardcover SC: Soft Cover
CPH: contains color photos WPH: contains black and white photos WCP: contains colored plates
IL: contains illustrations DB: contains diagrams/blueprints

Category: 1, 2

(1. Beginner/Laymen 2. Hobbyist/Small Holder 3. Fancier/Show 4. Breeder/Genetics 5. Hatchery 6. Production Laying Flock 7. Production Meat Flock)

Review: This book also comes in hardback but I like it in softcover as it's easy to carry to the coop and use the photos, which are excellent, to use as comparison to stock. The book is easily read and understood and is geared to the beginner but the information provided is accurate and useful. The section on breeds provides a good standard description of more than 50 of the most popular breeds. The section on disease is brief, but does provide a good basic course in care and prevention.

This is an excellent book for the 4-Her's as well as the hobbyist. And this is one of those books that I just like to sit on a cold winter day and look at the pictures especially since it was a heartfelt gift!

The book is broken into the following sections:

[FONT='Times New Roman', serif]Introduction[/FONT]

[FONT='Times New Roman', serif]Which Breeds (will suit you)[/FONT]

[FONT='Times New Roman', serif]Getting Started[/FONT]

[FONT='Times New Roman', serif]Caring for Chickens[/FONT]

[FONT='Times New Roman', serif]Hatching and Rearing[/FONT]

[FONT='Times New Roman', serif]Showing[/FONT]

[FONT='Times New Roman', serif]Chicken Breeds[/FONT]

[FONT='Times New Roman', serif]Hybrids[/FONT]

[FONT='Times New Roman', serif]Pests and Diseases[/FONT]

[FONT='Times New Roman', serif]Glossary (provides some good basic terminology)[/FONT]

Last edited:
Well Kathy since you started off with the classics I started off with a new, simpler beginners companion book!

Cheers

Ahh ha! I have that one, too, as well as a few more similar ones. As I am a night person (I work night shifts), I may do a couple more reviews tonight..... a couple of these....
Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens
The Chicken Health Handbook
FFA How to Raise Chickens
Storey's Illustrated Guide to Poultry Breeds
Genetics of Chicken Colours

Good Kathy and thanks that will save me from three I had in mind as well. I'll pull several classics and review tomorrow as I am not a night person!

I may review several books on the father of genetics tomorrow though not directly related to poultry I think hold tremendous importance to breeding and genetics generally.

Back
Top Bottom