Poultry Book Review

I just want to subscribe to this thread. I just ordered a book. All I want at the moment is to SEE the standard of perfection, so I bought the APA black and white standard book, and am hoping I will get illustrations that are not just the side silhouette but also the front view and back view of the birds. A top view would make me ecstatic! I'll let you know here when it arrives, what it is like. Thanks so much for starting this thread! I was hoping to see a review of this book, but if we all make an effort, we might have a really good source to go to when trying to find certain info :)

Ok, here goes:

Title: Black and White APA Standard Illustrations

Author: Schilling, Burgess, Graham and Sewell

Publisher/Date: 1992

ISBN:

Price/Link:

(provide the price you paid, where you bought it, if it was a gift and how much you found it for on sites like Amazon.
$13

Page Count: 96

Rating:

(1 poor...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10 excellent)

Special Attributes: IL, SC

CPH: contains color photos WPH: contains black and white photos WCP: contains colored plates
MH: a must have reference VT: very technical WE: well written easy to understand AB: advanced breeding
IL:
contains illustrations DB: contains diagrams/blueprints HC: Hardcover SC: Soft Cover BR: good beginner reference

Category: 1

(1. Beginner/Laymen 2. Hobbyist/Small Holder 3. Fancier/Show 4. Breeder/Genetics 5. Hatchery 6. Production Laying Flock 7. Production Meat Flock)

Review:

First, I was surprised it doesn't contain all the breeds recognized by the APA. The two chickens I have, Sultan and Crevecoeur, are not included. I wasn't expecting Seramas to be in there, and they weren't.

Second, I was really hoping there would be more information about how the breeds should really look, from the front, back and top. But there were only the same-ol same-ol silhouette I've seen a million times.

I'm pretty disappointed in this book because of the above two reasons and wouldn't recommend it as you can easily see this information with a google image search.

Last edited:
Title:Keeping Chickens

Author:Ashley English

Publisher/Date:Lark/2010

ISBN:9781600594908

Price/Link:

(library)

Page Count:135

Rating: 7

Special Attributes:

CPH: contains color photos

WE: well written easy to understand
HC: Hardcover BR: good beginner reference

Category:

(1. Beginner/Laymen

Review: This is a beginers guide to raising backyard chickens. With some touch upon breeds. Basic care. Hatching, housing etc..Written from a personal point of view with cute stories and some good egg recipes. Modern trendy layout

Back
Top Bottom