predator proofing

nouveauchick

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 9, 2012
Northern NJ
So this is my first chicken coop. We tried to predator proof best we could. Our coop has 3 ways in; the nest box, a side panel, and the door (the bottom also slides out for easy cleaning but because the run is attached it only slides one way now - not sure critters can figure that out). The nest box has a weird slide lock thing but I added a small padlock just to be sure little raccoon fingers couldn't accidentally figure it out. The side panel had a slide bolt and I added a spring loaded hook/eye lock as well, again just to make sure there would be no accidental unlocking (slide bolts just seemed like too much of a gamble). The door to the coop opens into the enclosed run. That door also has a slide bolt. The run has 2 doors. A side door and a top door. The top door has the same weird lock thing I mentioned before so I added a padlock to it. The side door had a slide bolt so I added an additional hook/eye lock like I did on the side panel. There is about 1.5-2 feet of hardware cloth buried around the run so that nothing (hopefully) can burrow in.

I am hoping I covered my bases, but since this is my first coop I really won't know how predator proof it is until something happens (or doesn't), I guess. If anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear them!

Also, I have been closing the coop door at night. I was wondering, since the coop opens into the run and I've secured the run with hardware cloth, padlocks, and multiple bolts is it necessary to lock the girls into their coop or can I leave that door open so they can come out on their own in the morning? They spend most of the day in the run. I want to do whatever is safest for the hens.

Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom