Predator protection advice please!!

cmf12230

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 18, 2015
Shavertown, PA
We have around 40 chickens and have been having issues with fox attacks. We live on a mountain and have lots of wooded area behind it. I feel like even after we take care of the fox predetors are going to be a continuos issue.... We only have an acre of land and then behind the acre we have lots of wooded area. So my question is what would you advise for protection? We have considered a livestock gaurdian dog but would there be a less expensive way of controlling our issue? If you would recomend a livestock gaurdian dog what breed what age and how do you train them? Would fencing help? We were thinking about fencing with pallets like 6 feet tall.... We have a golden retriever but she runs away when she isnt tied out. She is great with the chickens but watched a fox attack and didnt even bark last week. In general she seems like a dumb dog so this doesnt shock me. Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated!!!

We have around 40 chickens and have been having issues with fox attacks. We live on a mountain and have lots of wooded area behind it. I feel like even after we take care of the fox predetors are going to be a continuos issue.... We only have an acre of land and then behind the acre we have lots of wooded area. So my question is what would you advise for protection? We have considered a livestock gaurdian dog but would there be a less expensive way of controlling our issue? If you would recomend a livestock gaurdian dog what breed what age and how do you train them? Would fencing help? We were thinking about fencing with pallets like 6 feet tall.... We have a golden retriever but she runs away when she isnt tied out. She is great with the chickens but watched a fox attack and didnt even bark last week. In general she seems like a dumb dog so this doesnt shock me. Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated!!!

If you go with a fence you will need to have it go underground enough so a fox can not dig under it.

Last edited:
An 3 foot tall electric fence properly designed, installed, and maintained will discourage more chicken killing vermin than any 6 foot tall fence with a wire apron.

The electric fence conditions the varmints to leave and stay away because they find that your chickens' bit first.

With all other fence types you are just playing Ninja Warrior with the foxes. Some Ninja foxes will always win.

I use fencing layed around the coop on all sides and fastened with yard staples, many animals will not dig a 4' long hole to get to a prey or they arent smart enough to go away from the prey to dig to get to it.

we lost one of my wife's cats to a fox last year a paintball gun seamed to do the trick. for him we still see it from time to time but he stays pretty far from our house now. 30 paint balls up side the head in a second tends to do that.

A great Guardian dog holds their weight, however, they take training. livestock pups are in training it take months and even up to two years old. however, only get one from a farmer and older pups 4 , 5 or more months old that have lived continuously with livestock. Finding a well trained guardian dog is not unheard of but hard, no one will sell a well train guardian dog. Unless that dog is out of a job which happens. We had a sheep farm locally get auctioned off and his dogs he rehomed to individuals with livestock.. SO it happens but if looking for a full grown dog you must watch out for dogs that people made pets and then sell them as guardian dogs..

IMO Guardian dogs are awesome, I have one and i love him, he is still a pup though but he was well trained and 6 months old when i got him..he helps my st bernard who i will say is not a guardian dog, the bark just deters animals to keep away. she will protect my sheep but she not protecting chickens she just tolerates them..in any rate guardian dogs are not really quick fixes because it takes alot of time to train them.

Also farmers train guardian dogs differently ask what they are trained for like my Pyrenees will shoo black birds off and bark overhead at them, he does not like them in the yard, he also cases coons, skunks and other wildlife. However he is trained to kill cats because he came from a farm that had serious issue with outdoor cats preying on their fowls and chickens. I am glad that farmer offered what his pups where trained to because i have a indoor cat and now i have to make extra extra sure she never gets outside.

I think the electric fence is a great idea because I have seen my st bernard chase a coon out of my yard that when up and over my 6ft fence and if a coon can do that i bet a fox can to.If you wish a guardian dog in training, even older guardian pups are great even though they are learning they got the basics and the bark is like a megaphone..large breed pups eat alot, however once they are older they do not consume huge amounts of food. infact they eat less than expected..guardian dogs r good but you need fencing until it is trained well and more than likely after it is trained as some guardians like to roam.

If you have an Amish community around look to them also. I have a friend that has a Pryenees trained by Amish and that dog is amazing.

Last edited:
I am some what close to Lancaster PA so i will deff look into that! And will be looking up the electric fences as well. Thank you all for your responses you guys are awesome!!!

smile.png
Amen, the Amish are Authorities on animal husbandry!
thumbsup.gif

Electric fence is excellent. You need several wires at different heights to be effective, starting at 6-12 inches. Also, rather than bury wire which causes it to rust quickly, put a perimeter about two feet wide around the entire run laying flat. Attach to the run so there are no gaps. Most predators will dig against the fence, not two feet out. They are digging a so under the fence, not building a tunnel.

I have had opossums climb my five foot fence. I also think using 4-5 foot posts with 6 foot fence is a good idea. The shakiness of the top helps discourage climbing and definitely discourages birds like hawks from perching.

Back
Top Bottom