Predator protection mobile run

puddleglumWI

Chirping
Feb 3, 2023
Eastern WI - almost to the Lake
Hello all,

I am interested in thoughts on one of the aspects of this design. Does anyone use something similar to the livestock panels that fold down onto the ground to prevent animals from digging under the perimeter of the coop?

I want to use a mobile coop with electric netting in the three fairer seasons of Wisconsin weather, and then have a large semi-permanent run for the winter. This run could also be used for growing out meat cockerels, while the main flock is touring the farmyard.

If I could move the large semi-permanent run each year, so that the ground the chickens were on last winter could recover, that seems like a better option than a permanent bare and manure laden location. Would folding panel like on the sides of the mobile run in the video be effective at keeping out predators?

Thank you,
-pg

I'd use hardware cloth or 1x2 welded wire got the apron, cattle panels holes might be too big.

I was thinking something like 30-36" panels, with 12-18" of 1/2" hardware cloth on them, up by the wall.

Another option would be to make sure the coop inside is weasel and rat proof at night, and the run is dog, coyote, and racoon proof, if the panels outside can accomplish that.

Would you/how would you secure the panels and wire to the ground? Seems like if they are easy to flip up to move the run, they’d be easy for a larger animal to nose under before digging 🤔. Would you be diligent enough to stake them down each time you moved it? (And would that work - others chime in?!)

The biggest problem I see of panels for the apron is where the ground isn't level. It can't roll with the contour of the ground ... which already is a challenge of a tractor. A more flexible apron can help protect against that.

If your moving the tractor daily, you're likely to be pretty safe. It would make it more challenging for larger predators to dig through and if they need a second night, they're out of luck. Many of the smaller predators follow an existing hole, like a rat hole. But, if a rat digs through, again the tractor will be in a different place the next night.

Now, when you get to winter when you're not moving it .... you might want something more secure. Perhaps wrapping the panels with hardware cloth would be ideal for that.

When I had some pullets in an isolation tractor, I used simple welded wire fencing. I'd get visitors from fox and raccoon, they never messed with it. Perhaps I was just lucky?

Back
Top Bottom