Predator Resistant Breeds

I really enjoyed reading about your breeding program. Do you have any updates? Have you learned more about the black chickens freezing in self defense? Did you try adding a leghorn rooster to improve egg production?

If electrical fence is a viable, effective option sure. Our problem is bobcats and coyotes. I might be able to hot wire around the walls and gates but visiting kids and neighbors might not like it and I think the bobcats at least would just climb around it. I would love to have some free ranging chickens with some smarts so I don't have to keep them cooped up so much.

.... I've been raising chickens off and on for decades, and in the last several years, I've been breeding toward more predator resistant birds. Here in Central Florida, we have raccoons, opossums, foxes, coyotes, bobcats, snakes, various birds of prey and probably the most devastating predators of all - loose dogs.... I'd be grateful to anyone who can advise me.... particularly in regard to laying breeds that have proven abilities to evade predators....

Since you don't have leopards, and lions to worry about in Florida, perhaps if you gene spliced some ostrich DNA onto a brown leghorn you could breed a laying hen that lays the equivalent of a dozen eggs in only one shell yet flies like nobody's business. However when fully grown this hen may prove to be to heavy to roost on a tree limb.;)

Since you don't have leopards, and lions to worry about in Florida, perhaps if you gene spliced some ostrich DNA onto a brown leghorn you could breed a laying hen that lays the equivalent of a dozen eggs in only one shell yet flies like nobody's business. However when fully grown this hen may prove to be to heavy to roost on a tree limb.;)
:lau
I’d suggest adding Egyptian Fayoumi to the mix as they are practically wild.

From my limited experience with fox attacking at night, I found the white hens are more vulnerable probably they are easier to spot in the dark, common since; black and dark hens are better at night and flighty hens are better during the day.

Precisely, a solid approach Farmer Tony. The traits for which I select are the ability of sustained flight, wariness, high activity, good foraging skills, camouflaged coloration and perhaps that intangible something that adds more evasiveness as in the Speckled Sussex.

Of course the clearest sex linked characteristics among all jungle fowl are bright coloration in cocks along with a bolder and hence more self destructive temperament and usually somewhat reduced flying skills. This is one of the reasons I'm looking for breeds that have more "henny" cocks like the Quetro. The question will be how sex linked traits are passed along from generation to generation. That will take time to determine.

An interesting aside is that the RJF x Hamburg birds have sex linked coloration, and it seems, temperament as well. The cocks look almost indistinguishable from the hamburg cocks and are more lethargic and man aggressive than either the RJF or SSH. The hens, however are nearly perfect. They are drab brown and possess almost every trait I'm seeking. Small eggs are the only problem, but perhaps that can be mitigated by mixing in some Brown Leghorn.

I agree that trying to breed toward a survivable dual purpose breed is probably not achievable, but using dual purpose breeds that show some desired characteristics in the breeding program can be valuable. I've seen Sussex x RJF hens fly in circles for a quarter to half a mile over the pine tree line of my woods when startled by a predator. Their only drawback is that they tend to have lower egg production than I like and are too broody.

I appreciate your suggestion of fielding a laying cock in the mix periodically. I hadn't thought of that. I've been mostly breeding back to hens. Thanks very much for that advice.

Welcome! I've enjoyed reading this thread too, and the OP seems to have fallen off the earth, here.
I'd rather put up electric fencing, and eliminate visiting dogs, myself.
Mary
I agree. I have had a lot of different breeds over the years including RC Dark Brown Leghorns which are listed in my signature. I live near Ocala Florida. The predators have become wise to the electric wires around my coops and pens and I believe they teach their young that whatever is on the other side isn't worth getting zapped for.

Back
Top Bottom