Predators during the day?

A fox attacked my flock last week around 8:30 am. Now they are only allowed to free range while both DH and I are with them, and the 12-gauge is ready.

I have also heard GHO in the early evening, about an hour before dusk.

My best advice would be to make your run a little larger than you think you'll need, and to make it as secure as Fort Knox.

I've lost a hen to a hawk 2 years ago during the day. I've also seen foxes and a bobcat on my property during the day. A fox climbed my 6 foot fence and took a hen during the day. Coyotes will also hunt during the day.

Hawks are a constant threat here in MA during the day. Foxes are an occasional threat during daylight. A dog on the loose in the neighborhood is worst of all.

We live against the Appalacian mountains in PA. In the past few weeks we have been loosing our chickens during the day.. WE are home all day and NEVER see what is taking our babies.. Our chickens and ducks are pets and part of the family. They are safe in the coop at night, but we free range during the day.

We seem to have a choice between quality of life and safety... they do have an outdoor run with a concrete base, but during the day like to roam the yard and eat bugs.

How can we protect them?

We were losing a bird here and there through the day. My husband finally went and put up his blind and spent a few days looking for the predator. Finally, the third day, out popped a fox, and my husband popped him.

We've also had coons and skunk out here through the day. The skunks are more interested in the eggs, I think.

We were also victims of a bear attack. Lost our entire flock, for the most part, in one night. Our coop was 2x4 construction with 1/2 inch ply. We used screws, not nails. The doors were triple hinged with double latches. The bears simply tore it open. There really isn't any way to bear-proof a coop aside from electrical wire.

I think for your basic predators, hardware cloth is your best bet. Coons will go right through chicken wire. Our runs are 1/4 inch hardware cloth over chicken wire, with a chain link roof covered with chicken wire. We've never lost an animal in the runs during the day.

And make sure there's no holes of any size in your runs. Chipmunks and squirrels were a problem here. Little buggers can squeeze through almost any gap!

Blessings-
Em

we have had a fox problem here very recently and he has wiped us out of one of our flocks. the hawks and foxes will be the biggest problem during the day if our experiences hold true

we have no bears here, something tells me that they are unstoppable anyhow, but my run is all chain link with a chain link roof...snakes and rats have not been a problem as I take all preventive measures possible against them (but the hardware cloth is an excellent idea) and since I made the run out of this (they are actually dog kennel panels) I have not lost any birds to foxes or racoons or hawks. The shotgun helps, seems like just keeping it at hand is a big deterrent
wink.png

We live against the Appalacian mountains in PA. In the past few weeks we have been loosing our chickens during the day.. WE are home all day and NEVER see what is taking our babies.. Our chickens and ducks are pets and part of the family. They are safe in the coop at night, but we free range during the day.

We seem to have a choice between quality of life and safety... they do have an outdoor run with a concrete base, but during the day like to roam the yard and eat bugs.

How can we protect them?

It seems like that might be a fox, if there's no trace. Do you have a dog?

If you really want them to free range, consider getting a herding breed puppy and raising him/her to range with your flock to protect them. It will deter hawks, coons & foxes, and possibly bears depending on your dog's size & temperament. Having said that, and wishing for a good border collie, what we have ranging with our flock is a Schipperke-Pom mix, who does pretty well, considering he's not a "real" dog...

A dog will alert you much more to the predators as well. Good luck to you in beautiful Appalachia.

Back
Top Bottom