Predators

I have had it happen before, lost 16 birds. When I went down in the morning, there were dead or dying birds all over. My son's then reinforced my coop/run, and as long as I lock up each night, I have not had a problem.

I thought is was a mink or a weasel, but I have never seen one.

Mrs K

Any way possible a dog could have found its way in? Sounds a lot like a domestic dog attack, they aren't so much interested in eating the birds just chasing and catching them, playing basically. When one quits flopping and running they lose interest and go after another one. My dad lost half his flock 3 different times to his old beagle when I was a kid. Old fart would get loose while we were gone for the weekend and manage to find a way into the run. Birds were rarely chewed up but they were dead.

I haven't posted many things but we have had 2 chickens killed by something. This morning I found where something has dug under the wood and fence to get to my chickens but didn't get anything, thankfully! We are going to put the game camera out and fix the broken area in their fence. But my question really is how do I make my chickens feel safe enough to go back in their house? They have not gone in since the first kill almost a week ago and then again Monday.

Most of these post seem to have the same thing in common"something dug under the fence"a apron of welded wire around the whole thing will prevent anything from digging in, everyone will sleep better at night.

Most of these post seem to have the same thing in common"something dug under the fence"a apron of welded wire around the whole thing will prevent anything from digging in, everyone will sleep better at night.
Exactly, and it doesn't even have to be buried if you don't want to deal with that, just lay it on top of the ground and let the grass grow through it or cover it with mulch or whatever.

Back
Top Bottom