Preparing eggs for incubator.... 'healed' cracks?

rbc-bow-chicka

Songster
10 Years
Jan 4, 2014
When preparing eggs for the incubator, I ran into several eggs that appear to have been 'healed cracks' from somewhere in the hens reproductive tract.

I soaked them in Manna Pro Egg Cleanser because they were pretty messy from the rain.

Would you set these or should I pass? I have some older ones I can try to set if these are not a good idea.

Thanks

Attachments

• 20240521_103210.jpg
    20240521_103210.jpg
    345.7 KB · Views: 24
You could set them, then just be sure to candle them in 6-7 days and then you can ditch all the clears. I'd mark those with a pencil too so you know for sure which ones were questionable.

Do you give your hens extra calcium above their layer feed? Or if you have them on an all-flock, then especially they need more calcium. Most of us put oyster shell in a separate dish. The hens will eat it if they need it.

i dont waste time and space with abnormal eggs, id rather stagger set for another couple days than have weirdo eggs in the bator lol ..
So basically you just add more eggs as you go? I have never heard (!!!) of this. How long do you allow the new additions to go on? I have 2 7 egg brinseas and I try to have each one full before I start them.

You could set them, then just be sure to candle them in 6-7 days and then you can ditch all the clears. I'd mark those with a pencil too so you know for sure which ones were questionable.

Do you give your hens extra calcium above their layer feed? Or if you have them on an all-flock, then especially they need more calcium. Most of us put oyster shell in a separate dish. The hens will eat it if they need it.
Thats a good idea. Thank you.

Yes. They have layer pellets and extra calcium. It looks like a problem across all 3 girls that I have in that coop. They are dark cornish.

Back
Top Bottom