Preparing to order ducks...

Evadig

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
May 16, 2023
East Coast and LA
My family has finally agreed to me getting some ducks :) but I am going to need to order them in (probably from McMurray Hatchery) because none of my local feed stores will be selling ducks for the rest of the year. I am looking to get one (f) Welsh Harlequin, one (f) Silver Appleyard, and one (m) Saxony. Do you think these breeds would do well together? If anyone has a male Saxony, what is their experience - is he nice to the girls and others (chickens, geese, etc.)? Also, if he mates next year with the other two, would that pose any problems for their possible future offspring? Thanks for any advice!

Well, I have completed my very first order from a hatchery. I ordered one of each: (f) Welsh Harlequin, (f) Silver Appleyard, (f) American Buff, and (m) Saxony. They’re set to ship the first week of July, which means three weeks of nervous waiting!

Well, I have completed my very first order from a hatchery. I ordered one of each: (f) Welsh Harlequin, (f) Silver Appleyard, (f) American Buff, and (m) Saxony. They’re set to ship the first week of July, which means three weeks of nervous waiting!
I only stress once I get the "shipped" notice. LOL Poor little cuties in a box in the mail...
Pictures when you get them!

My family has finally agreed to me getting some ducks :) but I am going to need to order them in (probably from McMurray Hatchery) because none of my local feed stores will be selling ducks for the rest of the year. I am looking to get one (f) Welsh Harlequin, one (f) Silver Appleyard, and one (m) Saxony. Do you think these breeds would do well together? If anyone has a male Saxony, what is their experience - is he nice to the girls and others (chickens, geese, etc.)? Also, if he mates next year with the other two, would that pose any problems for their possible future offspring? Thanks for any advice!
Is there any local clubs/groups?
FB, Craigslist can be good resources.

I have another question about ordering…I was reading the twelve or so reviews posted on McMurray’s Hatchery for each of the breeds I’ve chosen and noticed that several people were saying their Silver Appleyards were not purebred. They were complaining their SAs looked kind of like Welsh Harlequin. Has anyone here had this problem from Murray McMurray? Thank you!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom