Preparing Your Flock & Coop for WINTER

This is probably a newbie question, but why don't you want them to have to wrap their toes around the perch?
First chickens feet are not designed for prolonged perching with toes wrapped around a perch. But that aside, in the winter they are able to have their feet flat and sit on them preventing them from getting frost bite on the toes.

First chickens feet are not designed for prolonged perching with toes wrapped around a perch. But that aside, in the winter they are able to have their feet flat and sit on them preventing them from getting frost bite on the toes.
Have you ever "really" looked at the size of those things??
hide.gif
Chickens are unlike parakeets/parrots who like to 'curl' their toes around a round roost bar. Chickens ideally need a 2" x 4" laying FLAT so they can lay on their feet comfortably...they don't like to curl their toes. Also, during the winter months while laying on their legs/feet they stay much warmer, can balance themselves better, and won't be as prone to frostbite.

Pretty much any incandescent light poses a fire risk around dry wood chips, hay or what not... If the light is just being used for illumination and not heating (and you want to use a screw in type light, go get one of the new LED lights, they cost about $7-$10 but they pose much less of a fire risk and should last for a LONG time and pay for itself over and over again in electrical savings... Plus they are far more 'robust' then spiral compact fluorescent bulbs...

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Great-Value-GVRLAS6W27KND-Great-Value-LED-Light-Bulb-Soft-White/25524365
Water freezes at 32°F should you should be perfectly fine...
I'm not sure about this but I heard that the soft white is the kind of bulb that has a film over it and will hurt the birds. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
big_smile.png

Have you ever "really" looked at the size of those things??
hide.gif
Chickens are unlike parakeets/parrots who like to 'curl' their toes around a round roost bar. Chickens ideally need a 2" x 4" laying FLAT so they can lay on their feet comfortably...they don't like to curl their toes. Also, during the winter months while laying on their legs/feet they stay much warmer, can balance themselves better, and won't be as prone to frostbite.
And put the 2x4 up off the ground about 6 inches?

Have you ever "really" looked at the size of those things?? :oops:   Chickens are unlike parakeets/parrots who like to 'curl' their toes around a round roost bar. Chickens ideally need a 2" x 4" laying FLAT so they can lay on their feet comfortably...they don't like to curl their toes. Also, during the winter months while laying on their legs/feet they stay much warmer, can balance themselves better, and won't be as prone to frostbite.
I did this in my old coop and they had them both directions flat and up and down and mine actually preferred to curl there toes? We also lived in the desert then too? Maybe that's y no issues of freezing in az....

At least 6 inches and preferably above the nesting box level. This will help discourage sleeping in the nesting boxes. I have three roosts (2x4)...two at about 24 inches and one at about 36 inches. They all argue over who gets to roost on the higher one.
Thank you so much for the advice!

And put the 2x4 up off the ground about 6 inches?
Nope....you want your roosting bar(s) at least 14-18 inches higher than your nesting boxes.

In the above pic you can "just see" the roofline of my nesting boxes which sit about 8" off the floor of the coop. Their roost bar is at about 40" off the floor, poop tray at about 30" off the floor.

Their nest boxes...roost bar/poop tray is to the left...

Back
Top Bottom