Preparing Your Flock & Coop for WINTER

I light my coop in the evening to boost egg production. "they say" it should be done before dawn to prevent the bed time surprise of sudden lights out. But, my girls are fast learners. They're always on the roost before lights out. I prefer not to have my roo crowing at 2:30 AM, which would be happening if I had light only in the morning. After the time change, I'll have lights on at 6:30 AM - 10:00AM, and then on again 3:30 PM - 8:30 PM for the 14 hours that they need.

Any windows in that coop? If not, I recommend that you cut in some windows, and be sure they are secured with 1/2" hardware cloth for predator security.

Jack, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your coop.
I'm a "they"?
hide.gif
lau.gif
I didn't think about the rooster thing, I guess because I don't have any. But I can see where that could be an issue, especially if you live in town.

I light my coop in the evening to boost egg production. "they say" it should be done before dawn to prevent the bed time surprise of sudden lights out. But, my girls are fast learners. They're always on the roost before lights out. I prefer not to have my roo crowing at 2:30 AM, which would be happening if I had light only in the morning. After the time change, I'll have lights on at 6:30 AM - 10:00AM, and then on again 3:30 PM - 8:30 PM for the 14 hours that they need.
Good point....At the depth of winter, I'd probably have mine up at 3 a.m. so you're right. My girls like to hang together, so they'll probably be good. With the time change coming I need to plan on resetting my light timer though.

you could get one of the led lights u just put batteries in and stick it to the wall..can u close the windows up if u want?

I have found that battery powered lights, at least the ones I have bought, are not reliable, if left out and exposed to single digit temps. In the pic I posted, the windows are shut. In the warmer months, the side windows slide open, and the upper windows are hinged at the top, and open out. The wire front, is ALWAYS open. I'll get to that light and switch someday. But right now, I'm like the one-legged man, at a butt kicking contest.

Just found this thread and still on page 35.......But here's my setup and some questions.

iwiw60: Are you still using the silver round water heaters you bought last year from walmart? I need two for my plastic buckets with HN.
islandgirl82: Are you still in Maine (as I am) and did your chickens fare well with last year's forever horrible winter?

I have 2 coops.
#1 coop 6x8, attached hardware-clothed run 12x12. 7 hens
#2 coop 6x10, attached hardware-clothed run 16x16 15 hens

In the fall, I'm starting now, I secure polycarbonate panels around the entire runs. On nice sunny days when no snow or wind is predicted, I can remove or replace any or all side, front or back panels. The roof panels stay in place until spring, when I then remove half of them on both sides. This provides them with a run that remains half dry during the summer. With all the snow we got last winter, these panels were unbelievable. Their runs remained free of snow and wind chill, but provided plenty of ventilation and sunlight. I keep all their food and water in the run. It keeps the coops cleaner and drier and I found that the only reason the hens go inside is to either lay or sleep. Regardless of how cold it is outside. I saw evidence of a mouse eating food only once last year. I just installed solar powered, photo-eye sensored auto chicken doors and I love them! Now I can take my time in the winter when I have to shovel to get to them, and in the summer when they're up at 430am. This also makes for a very clean coop. The coops are insulated with 3 windows each and 2 ceiling vents each. I don't really need to winterize the coops as it basically is just a matter of closing the windows a bit. I have tried heating the coops, but I'm petrified of fires and the volunteer fire depts would never reach the coops with all the snow. And the coops are right outside my bedroom window. Besides, one evening while out doing a final headcount, I couldn't find one bantam. After a few minutes, I looked directly over my head and she was perched somehow on the heating lamp cord. That's when I decided that perhaps using the heat lamp would be less than ideal.

I can only free range when I am out with them along with my 2 dogs who patrol the perimeter of woods.

What I would do differently:
1) Replace the permanent roof panels on the south/west side with sun-blocking panels. In spite of the open concept, they are very hot under the clear panels during July-August. (I plan to do this next May.)
2) I would've placed my man-doors inside the runs. I clean the coops every day and when we have so much snow, it takes forever to shovel from the house to each run-door and then around to the back side to both man-doors. Last year was brutal.
3) If I hadn't had property boundary restrictions, I would've separated the structures more. The amt of snow I shovel off the roofs completely fills up the area between them and then there's that much more shoveling to do. Again, last year was brutal.

Spring and winter photos below:

Last year, I used a large black rubber bucket with the horizontal nipples, on a sunshinny day, this would keep the water open in daytime temperatures of 10+ above 0, F.

When I closed the run up at night, I would dump the water out, and in the morning add warm water. On a cloudy day, though it would begin to freeze up or below 10. At those temperatures I go to black rubber bowls.

I carry water in a milk jug in the morning, as it is easy to carry and does not spill on you which can be miserable in cold weather.

Mrs K
Glad to read this. My white plastic buckets cracked after several months of use with HN and I was wondering about using the rubber buckets instead. So you had no problem inserting the HN in the rubber?

I'm from Virginia (the South). Our winters are cold and yes my chickens will eat the foam so I am using the clear vinyl to position on the run with about a five inch open around the top of the sides. My chicks love the run and I don't want to take all the ventilation from them. They have a closed in shelter with sort of a press wood paneling! I will be taking their feeding and watering containers inside for the winter. I leave the run open on both sides to grant them freedom to enjoy sunlight as desired. My husband and I are considering using heating bulbs but are afraid that if we don't use guards, they will peck them as they do everything.

We're in northern Vermont. Temps in the winter range from -15 to the mid 20's.

I definitely put down a good layer of bedding (we use shavings, but after reading I'm starting to think sand) this time of year and keep it deep all winter. I clean it out every few days to keep it nice and clean as the girls spend much more time in the hen house during the colder months.

The hen house itself is only about 8 feet by 5 feet. We have six full sized chickens and they fit just fine. The hen house dumps into a coop that's about 10 feet by 5 feet. We cover this in heavy plastic in the winter to give them a wind free area. We use a heated dog bowl that sits in the coop. They have access to this all day, but not at night. Our hen house is small enough that we don't want to introduce more humidity by putting in a heater water bowl. They can get into the coop from the wee hours of the morning till evening.

The coop dumps into a bigger yard they can roam around. It has outside perches to allow them to get off the ground, bushes to hide behind and under, and we put in a bale of hay every now and again that they have fun ripping into.

Definitely good snacks in the winter. Meal worms, pumpkin, and cooked oatmeal. They love their oatmeal.

We don't heat our coop. I agree that it's better to allow them to acclimatize to the cold. Never had an issue. Give them plenty to eat and drink, and ventilation. They'll be fine.

We're in northern Vermont. Temps in the winter range from -15 to the mid 20's.

I definitely put down a good layer of bedding (we use shavings, but after reading I'm starting to think sand) this time of year and keep it deep all winter. I clean it out every few days to keep it nice and clean as the girls spend much more time in the hen house during the colder months.

The hen house itself is only about 8 feet by 5 feet. We have six full sized chickens and they fit just fine. The hen house dumps into a coop that's about 10 feet by 5 feet. We cover this in heavy plastic in the winter to give them a wind free area. We use a heated dog bowl that sits in the coop. They have access to this all day, but not at night. Our hen house is small enough that we don't want to introduce more humidity by putting in a heater water bowl. They can get into the coop from the wee hours of the morning till evening.

The coop dumps into a bigger yard they can roam around. It has outside perches to allow them to get off the ground, bushes to hide behind and under, and we put in a bale of hay every now and again that they have fun ripping into.

Definitely good snacks in the winter. Meal worms, pumpkin, and cooked oatmeal. They love their oatmeal.

We don't heat our coop. I agree that it's better to allow them to acclimatize to the cold. Never had an issue. Give them plenty to eat and drink, and ventilation. They'll be fine.
Just remember one thing about sand in areas where freezes are not only possible, but more than likely. It makes for a pretty hard surface to land on.

Back
Top Bottom