Preparing Your Flock & Coop for WINTER

Already down to 11 degrees and it's only 10pm here. It's gonna be a long winter.
Its 13 here....
1f623.png
. Yes, and so it begins.

I've winterized my coop. I decided to wait till next year to purchase the clear tarps. I just don't have it in the budget to purchase them this year. I used the clear shower curtains I had last year. They are still in good shape, so no reason to buy new. I did put up a tarp in the alley way of the barn. I'll make my 2 cookie tin heaters over the weekend, and I'll be set for Winter. I would put clear plastic up on the North side and maybe one or both ends. This will give them a wind break and keep the snow out that you get in the panhandle. Does your coop section have any air vents? I can't see any from this pic.
No there are no vent holes, the poop tray doesn't go back all the way to the back wall maybe 1/4 inch gap and I leave the little chicken size door open enough where the chickens can stick their head out about 1 1/2 inch. They get impatient with me in the mornings sometimes and have learned to let themselves out into the bottom. This coop is on a that runs kinda northeast and I have put a back door that we replaced behind the coop to block wind from coming through the fence. Today I cut fluorescent light cover plastic to cover the outside part under the coop end and front. Oh and when you look into the nest box with the house door you can see light too so that lid has 1/4 inch gap around it too

Last edited:
Ok I don't know how much or where or anything I know if I reach in there and feel it's cold, I don't know what to do I'm chicken stupid and my daddy's not here to ask anymore. Can someone tell me? And what is IMO? I don't know about ventilation. We have 50 and sixty mile an hour wind gust and sustained winds of 20 mph last night with temps at 30 the wind goes in that door so I don't want to freeze them so isn't know please help me.

Last edited:
Ok I don't know how much or where or anything I know if I reach in there and feel it's cold, I don't know what to do I'm chicken stupid and my daddy's not here to ask anymore. Can someone tell me? And what is IMO? I don't know about ventilation. We have 50 and sixty mile an hour wind gust and sustained winds of 20 mph last night with temps at 30 the wind goes in that door so I don't want to freeze them so isn't know please help me.
Can you give more information? How are they housed?

No there are no vent holes, the poop tray doesn't go back all the way to the back wall maybe 1/4 inch gap and I leave the little chicken size door open enough where the chickens can stick their head out about 1 1/2 inch. They get impatient with me in the mornings sometimes and have learned to let themselves out into the bottom. This coop is on a that runs kinda northeast and I have put a back door that we replaced behind the coop to block wind from coming through the fence. Today I cut fluorescent light cover plastic to cover the outside part under the coop end and front. Oh and when you look into the nest box with the house door you can see light too so that lid has 1/4 inch gap around it too

IMO means in my opinion.

I agree with lazy gardener, you do need some ventilation in the coop.

When chickens roost at night, they put out a lot of moisture from their breathing and pooping. That warm, moist air rises and if there is no vent for it to go out of, it will settle back down onto their combs/wattles. In the winter time, this will lead to frostbite. You need to cut some holes in your coop. Those little coops are cute, but they don't offer much ventilation.

Since you live in Texas, I would cut some holes along the top edge on all four sides of your coop. I would hinge the pieces you cut out so that you can shut them as needed depending on the wind directions. Be sure and put up hardware cloth on the inside covering the holes so no predators can get in when the vents are open.

If you didn't want to hinges the cut outs, you could get house vents like you use for central heat/air and install those. They are adjustable, and would be easy to open/close as needed. Again, be sure and put hardware cloth on the inside of the vents to prevent critters from getting in.

Cold doesn't really bother a chicken. They have lots of down and as long as there is no direct wind blowing on them, they can keep warm.

There is a link in my signature about ventilation. Click on that and it will give you a lot of information about what they need for ventilation.

what do you guys use for roosts i have an old homemade tree stand ladder that has about twelve steps im gonna put another in this week what are the thoughts

Back
Top Bottom