Prepping the ground for chickens (total newbie question)

jobeibi

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 4, 2010
Florida Panhandle
I've always liked the idea of keeping backyard chickens for eggs, and this recent salmonella outbreak has really spurred me to start researching what it takes to raise a few birds in town.

One question I have, that I haven't found addressed in any of the books or threads, is "do I need to do anything to disinfect the ground before building a coop?"

I have a dog, and the neighbors have cats. I have seen and trapped raccoons, and there are squirrels everywhere. I don't put poisons on my lawn, so I suspect that there may be some parasites and bacteria in the ground out back. Is this a concern in starting a small flock, or should I just not worry about it?

I'm really not a germophobe. I just don't want to start off by making my chickens sick.

Advice?

The short answer is don't worry about it. Spend your time concentrating on a secure coop and run for your flock. Make sure it's secure from pet and wildlife predators and human ones as well! Chickens are really pretty hardy critters and fare well if protected from predators.

And welcome to BYC!!!

Larry

welcome-byc.gif

I agree with dirtsaver. One other suggestion I might make is to check your local ordinances and any HOA bylaws that you might have. It is always nice to know you are not an "outlaw" before you get the chicks! Good luck and have fun! They are more fun to watch than TV!

Bacteria and stuff wont bother them and they will help eat any bugs that are around! You will like it here...lots of friendly folks to give you any information that you ask for! Pay special attention to predator-proof your area...raccoons LOVE chicken.
somad.gif
And WELCOME! Terri O

Thanks, guys!

I like the "don't worry about it" answer. I kind of expected you'd say that. I just wanted to be sure.

I love this site. I keep googling chicken questions, and everything leads back here. I found our local ordinance here.

We basically have to get all our adjacent neighbors to sign statements saying they don't mind, and pay a fee. My neighbors are easygoing folks. (I don't like the idea of paying the gubmint $25 a bird though. What are they giving me in return?)

Quote:
I agree with dirt saver and above posters give them somewhere safe and secure, they will be happy and healthy. stay on this sight we have learned so much here and continue to learn through each stage of the chickens growing. We have gotten answers to every question we have posted no matter how lame the question was. luck to ya and:welcome

If you are worried about the ground, perhaps a 10/90 bleach solution would set your mind at ease. Just heavily douse the ground, let dry and you are good to go! Perhaps putting down a good layer of DE or Sevin Dust after it all dries for good measure. I have squirrels and possum in our yard and I am also a pet sitter who has had dozens of dogs sleep over and I just built the coop and let the girls free range in our yard. I DE once a month and Sevin dusted the girls about 2 months ago when we had some lice. I don't use any pesticides or fertilizers in our yard, the hens are PERFECT for that!

Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom