Chicken Run Question

jvanett13

In the Brooder
May 18, 2023
Central New York
First time chicken owner and in the process of finishing up my coop. I am doing an all in one design where the run goes under the coop and extends out which I know needs to be covered in wire. My backyard is fully fenced in with 6ft high wood fencing so I'm wondering if I can get away with using hardware cloth around the bottom 3 feet of the run including burying about 6 inches at the base then using chicken wire for the remaining area of the run? The fenced in backyard plus my 3 dogs really deter anything from coming into the yard so coyotes, foxes and raccoons aren't really a concern (never seen them in my neighborhood) but I know Mink have been spotted in the area but I don't know much about them. My chickens will be locked up in their elevated coop at night also. I've attached a picture of the inspiration for my coop to give you an idea of what i'm going for.

53-0-242-0-8942-10000-836.jpg

I would not count on this, many can climb over it.
Are your dogs out 24/7?
Burying 6" won't do much, better to use an apron out 18-24".
Good examples of anti-dig apron installation.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/wire-around-coop.1110498/#post-17093528
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/new-coop-project.1169916/page-2#post-18481208
Not 24/7 but they are in and out very frequently, we have a glass slider back door so they sit and watch for "intruders" aka rabbits or birds that land in the yard and ask to go out whenever they want. I live in central NY pretty close to Lake Ontario in a suburban housing area.

That's a nice looking coop/run, but it's lacking ventilation, so in planning yours, add in plenty of ventilation.
Also where about are you located? It helps us help you because coops can vary greatly in different regions.
I am in central NY right by Lake Ontario so hot-ish summer once summer arrives and winter can be mild to very cold with heavy snow.

I am in central NY right by Lake Ontario so hot-ish summer once summer arrives and winter can be mild to very cold with heavy snow.
I'm east of Albany. Get wet heavy snow here too.
24/7/365 ventilation well above there heads while on roost is a must. I like full sized coops, one I can stand up in. So much easier to set up and clean.

First time chicken owner and in the process of finishing up my coop. I am doing an all in one design where the run goes under the coop and extends out which I know needs to be covered in wire. My backyard is fully fenced in with 6ft high wood fencing so I'm wondering if I can get away with using hardware cloth around the bottom 3 feet of the run including burying about 6 inches at the base then using chicken wire for the remaining area of the run? The fenced in backyard plus my 3 dogs really deter anything from coming into the yard so coyotes, foxes and raccoons aren't really a concern (never seen them in my neighborhood) but I know Mink have been spotted in the area but I don't know much about them. My chickens will be locked up in their elevated coop at night also. I've attached a picture of the inspiration for my coop to give you an idea of what i'm going for.

53-0-242-0-8942-10000-836.jpg
That’s nice u may want to make it moveable cause they will have that grass gone in no time and it will need to be moved. If u have dogs I wouldn’t worry about something under except maybe chicken snakes. And the top I have never had but they run when they think there is a bird of prey so I always leave the coop open so they can hide. Good luck 🍀

Back
Top Bottom