3 ounces crumbled cheese

Apple Cider Vinaigrette Ingredients:

1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
2 teaspoons honey
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 small garlic clove, peeled and minced
Salt and black pepper to taste
This sounds good. Have you (or anyone else) tried it?

Half a bushel of apples are drying in the dehydrator. As soon as they're done, I have another half to do. And if the farmstand has any more for sale like that ($8/half bu), I'll get some more.

I didn't get any peaches or melons to dry this year, so it's all apples. But I think in the winter, I won't mind.

I didn't get any peaches or melons to dry this year
I have a cantaloupe on the counter. Any experience drying these in the past? I was thinking of just peeling and slicing around 3/8" thick and laying it on the racks in the dehydrator.
Is 3/8 too thin for melon? I know it shrinks a lot. Also, I'm not sure what temp or how long to dry them for.

I have a cantaloupe on the counter. Any experience drying these in the past? I was thinking of just peeling and slicing around 3/8" thick and laying it on the racks in the dehydrator. Not sure what temp or how long though..
Cantaloupe is AWESOME! Here's what I do:

Cut it in half, stem to blossom, and scoop out the guts/seeds. Save that for the chickens, of course.

Lay the cut side down, and slice into 1" thick slices. Lay the slices on their side and trim off the rind. (I cut them that thick so that they don't fall apart when I pick them up after I cut off the rind.)

Cut into 3/8" thick slices and put on the dehydrator trays.

125-135 degrees, and roughly 12-16 hours to dry.

If you think of it, turn the pieces over about half way through.

Mine don't get to the crisp stage, they're more chewy. I store them in jars. When they're first done, I put them in a cupboard (out of direct light) for a couple weeks and monitor for any signs of mold. Then they go down to a tote in the basement.

Back
Top Bottom