Pics
DH has some salsa from 2020 that he doesn't like nearly as well as the stuff he made last year. I told him I'm going to take some of the habaneros out of the freezer, add some onions, garlic, tomato, open all the 2020 salsa jars, and cook it all down together. I need to have small jars for this coming season, and they're full of salsa he doesn't eat because it's not as good as last summer's.

DH has some salsa from 2020 that he doesn't like nearly as well as the stuff he made last year. I told him I'm going to take some of the habaneros out of the freezer, add some onions, garlic, tomato, open all the 2020 salsa jars, and cook it all down together. I need to have small jars for this coming season, and they're full of salsa he doesn't eat because it's not as good as last summer's.
You can start cooking with the salsa too. Salsa chicken is good. We use it as a base for Mexican rice. Enchiladas are easy enough and salsa can be used in place of enchilada sauce. Heck, I use 1.5 qts of salsa verde when I make two trays of enchiladas. And if the flavor is lacking a but just cook up some peppers, garlic, etc. and add to the dish along with the salsa.

There's an idea! Except DH likes salsa to be HOT (thus the habaneros) and I'm a wimp. But maybe, if I can find a way to cut it a bit...? Any suggestions?
Sautée some hot peppers on the side, and mix into DHs salsa before he spoons it on! Will add lots of kick but keep yours mild. DH & I have the opposite problem. I’m the one who likes spicy! ❤️

Sautée some hot peppers on the side, and mix into DHs salsa before he spoons it on
The problem is that the 2020 salsa has habaneros. It's already hot-hot-hot. I need something to tone down already made salsa. Is there anything?

I'll probably end up using it to make more salsa like what he made last year, that he really likes. And that's ok too... it'll get cooked down (it's runnier than his new batch), so it'll be in fewer jars.

Added bonus: Cooking it down will add some MUCH needed humidity to the house. :) And clear out sinuses to boot.

There's an idea! Except DH likes salsa to be HOT (thus the habaneros) and I'm a wimp. But maybe, if I can find a way to cut it a bit...? Any suggestions?
Combine the salsa with crushed tomatoes or tomato puree and sauteed onions and bell peppers. Add seasonings similar to the salsa and there you go.

For rice we use a few heaping tablespoons to a cup of dry rice. You would not have to cut the heart probably. Add 2 cups water or chicken stock and cook as you would any rice (bring to a simmer, cover and let cook on low).

Also, if you ever come into the west suburbs of Chicago I would give you dried habaneros and smoked habaneros for your husband to enjoy. I have far too many from last year. I'll never be able to use them all.

I made a cherry pie with my own canned cherry pie filling. MMmmm pie. :drool
IMG_2213.JPG

Back
Top Bottom