Pics
I went with the Nesco 9.5 quart. https://www.nesco.com/product/9-qt-smart-canner-cooker/

If you have a big pressure canner, this one might kill you because it's small! 4 quarts or 5 pints at a time. (I have 2 that I now run at the same time)

You will see some say any electric canners are not safe to can with, but I did a ton of research on it & was convinced it's just a matter of the wording & what has been tested by the National Center for Home Food Preservation & what has NOT been tested. I'd suggest doing your own research if it's something you'd consider.

I went with the Nesco 9.5 quart. https://www.nesco.com/product/9-qt-smart-canner-cooker/

If you have a big pressure canner, this one might kill you because it's small! 4 quarts or 5 pints at a time. (I have 2 that I now run at the same time)

You will see some say any electric canners are not safe to can with, but I did a ton of research on it & was convinced it's just a matter of the wording & what has been tested by the National Center for Home Food Preservation & what has NOT been tested. I'd suggest doing your own research if it's something you'd consider.
I don't mind doing smaller batches so that sounds a good size to me.

I don't mind doing smaller batches so that sounds a good size to me.
I'm quite happy with it. But I've never had a pressure canner before. It takes a lot of the work out of it because it counts down the 10 minutes for you, you just have to flip the weight when its done venting - it does the rest. It also works as a slow cooker, you can water bath can in it &, obviously, it's a pressure cooker too.

I'm quite happy with it. But I've never had a pressure canner before. It takes a lot of the work out of it because it counts down the 10 minutes for you, you just have to flip the weight when its done venting - it does the rest. It also works as a slow cooker, you can water bath can in it &, obviously, it's a pressure cooker too.
You sound like me! I have that exact canner and love it too! It's also a great slow cooker

I made a frittata this morning. Home grown ingredients: greens, onions, garlic, jalapenos (from last year), and eggs. Purchased: broccoli, carrots, cherry tomatoes, milk, cheese, and sour cream. Plus the oil and spices.

I can't wait until I can have my own broccoli, carrots, and tomatoes in it. Oh, wait. Then it'll be HOT and I won't want to have the oven going at 400 degrees. 🤔

I found that best way to preserve ripe mango is to make ice cream with it. I use 32oz heavy whipping cream, two 14 oz cans of sweet condensed milk and 4 ripe pureed mango. After I puree my 4 mangos, I put everything in my ninja blender and mix it all up on low until it thickens like whipped cream. Then I put the mix into 4 small serving containers and freeze. We don't need an ice cream machine to make ice cream, but we do need something that can whip the cream. Also in my area, Walmart has the cheapest whipping cream.

If I were to freeze high quality slices of fresh mango, it would taste mushy after it defrost. Turning it into ice cream solves this problem.

Last edited:
Came across this list and thought I'd share...

Apples

Store apples in the fridge so they don’t get mealy. Keep other produce away from this high-ethylene-producing fruit to protect them from premature decay, or store your apples in a sealed bag.

Berries

Blackberries, blueberries, raspberries and strawberries should be refrigerated in a sealed container with a little airflow and lined with towels to prevent the buildup of moisture. Keep the lid slightly ajar or use a container with holes in it.

Broccoli

Since broccoli is a winter vegetable, it can handle cold temperatures. Keep whole heads of broccoli in the cool crisper drawer and wrap them in a damp towel to stay fresh.

Carrots

Submerge cut carrots in a jar of water. They should last for two weeks.

Whole carrots can last in the fridge on their own for a while.

Citrus fruits

Generally, it’s best to keep grapefruits, lemons, limes, oranges, tangerines and other citrus fruits at room temperature until they hit peak ripeness for a week or so. After this, put them in the fridge.

Corn

Keep corn from drying out. Store the ears still in their husks in a reusable silicone bag and leave them in the crisper drawer until you’re ready to use them.

Cucumbers

The flavor of cucumbers is impacted by cold temperatures so store them on the counter. To extend their life by refrigerating, wrap them in a towel so they stay dry and store them in a reusable, cloth grocery bag for ventilation.

Herbs

For soft-stemmed herbs like basil, cilantro, dill, mint, parsley and tarragon, place the stems in a jar with a few inches of water and put them in the fridge.

Hard-stemmed herbs like chives, oregano, rosemary, sage and thyme should be wrapped in a damp towel and stored in a sealed container in the crisper drawer.

Onions and garlic

Onions and garlic can be stored together, but keep them away from moisture in a low-humidity environment. Both like good air circulation, so use a basket or mesh or paper bag.

Onions prefer a cool, dark place, like a closet or basement storage room and they will last for months. Once cut, refrigerate onions in a beeswax wrap.

Garlic can be left on a kitchen counter in a breathable container. Refrigerating garlic can make it lose some of its flavor.

Potatoes and sweet potatoes

Potatoes should be stored similarly to onions, but you should keep them away from each other. The gases emitted by onions will cause sprouting in the potatoes.

Keep potatoes and yams in a dark, cool place, like a root cellar, cabinet, closet, or drawer. Store potatoes in a basket or other open container to prevent spoilage.

Salad greens

Wrap salad greens in a light, reusable dish towel to soak up water and keep leaves from getting soggy.

To revive limp greens, submerge them in a bowl of very cold water before eating.

Summer squash

Summer squashes like zucchini are similar to cucumbers, but they need to be refrigerated. Don’t chill the vegetables at temperatures any lower than 50 F, which might cause chilling injuries.

Tomatoes

Keep tomatoes out of the refrigerator. Store fresh tomatoes upside down in an open, flat container at room temperature and out of direct sunlight.

If they’re very ripe, refrigerate them until ready to use. Tomatoes give off ethylene gas, so keep them away from other fruits and vegetables.

I canned 18 jelly jars of Strawberry jam today and froze 6 quarts of strawberries for later. My husband got the strawberries for me from an Amish family, they were bright red, beautiful and wonderful tasting.
IMG_2523.JPG

Back
Top Bottom