Pressure Cookers

Henry'schickens :

Quote:
Have you used an old hen, say,,,,, three years old?

No, I actually haven't done any that old. The oldest I did were some RIR roosters that were about a year and a half old. They came out great!! Also, don't forget, when people go hunting for turkeys they don't go out saying, " I'm gonna get the youngest, most tender tom turkey out there!" Nope, they always go for the big old toms. I don't think you'll have a problem with a 3 year old hen, especially if you brine it for 3 days, too. ( The RIR roosters I did in the pressure cooker I didn't even brine)​

I paid $40 for an 8 quart pressure cooker at Target. I'm not sure of the brand. It's my 2nd favorite pot and I use it often.

The new style cookers have safety release valves and primary gravity type valve. Explosions are unlikely.

Pressure cooked rooster meat is pretty good. I'll bring the pot up to temp (until it starts releasing steam) and then cook for 20 to 40 minutes, depending on age of bird. The meat is great for soup. Saddina makes tamales out of it.

I have a Cuisinart electric pressure cooker that I love. I got it for when we travel to hotels for ski races, so electric was necessary. I can cook three meals a day for several days in it for our family of five and for team meals. At home I use it for beans weekly. I bought it last fall from Costco for about $65. Now I'll try chicken in it. I do not care for chicken in the crockpot, to dry.

I had a Presto cooker/canner that we used almost daily. The lid got lost during our last move and I haven't been able to find another the same size but we have a smaller one we use quite a bit. Nothing comes out stringy or tough as long as you let it cook long enough. As soon as I find another cooker/canner I will buy it.

Quote:
Have you used an old hen, say,,,,, three years old?

No, I actually haven't done any that old. The oldest I did were some RIR roosters that were about a year and a half old. They came out great!! Also, don't forget, when people go hunting for turkeys they don't go out saying, " I'm gonna get the youngest, most tender tom turkey out there!" Nope, they always go for the big old toms. I don't think you'll have a problem with a 3 year old hen, especially if you brine it for 3 days, too. ( The RIR roosters I did in the pressure cooker I didn't even brine)

Ya know,,, I should have thought of that since me DH and kids are turkey hunters. Just had one(turkey) the other night and it wasn't exactly tender. He did age it a few days then pan fried it. I would rate it a B- on tenderness. Still edible though.
The hard thing now is for me to put the hens on the 'list'. The roos were no problem for me since we did not have them around a long time before processing. The hens, however, we have had for 3 years and unfortunately they have names now. Those will be harder for me to process when the time comes. We have not done that yet. Maybe next year? I have enough laying hens that I'm not sure who is slacking off and who is earning their keep.
roll.png
Currently, with the roos, I breast them out and use the rest for stock to can.

Henry'schickens :

Ya know,,, I should have thought of that since me DH and kids are turkey hunters. Just had one(turkey) the other night and it wasn't exactly tender. He did age it a few days then pan fried it. I would rate it a B- on tenderness. Still edible though.
The hard thing now is for me to put the hens on the 'list'. The roos were no problem for me since we did not have them around a long time before processing. The hens, however, we have had for 3 years and unfortunately they have names now. Those will be harder for me to process when the time comes. We have not done that yet. Maybe next year? I have enough laying hens that I'm not sure who is slacking off and who is earning their keep.
roll.png
Currently, with the roos, I breast them out and use the rest for stock to can.

Even a domestic turkey, unless it's really young, is likely to be tough if pan-fried, except for the breast, anyway.

I sometimes get wild turkeys that my neighbors hunt, and if they let me dress it out, I give them the breast (that's all they want) and keep the rest. I cook it in the crock pot until it's tender.

I have some pretty old hens that still lay quite a bit. Not daily, maybe, but if they lay 4 eggs a week, that's ok with me. I seldom eat hens or pullets unless they get badly injured or something. Now the roos, that's another story! They are almost all destined for dinner from the beginning.

I have an old Mirro pressure canner/cooker, I bought it on ebay. It's never quite sealed the way it should. It will seal, but it takes forever before it does, so everything I've canned in it has been overcooked. I've replaced the gasket, the emergency pressure plug, and the lift pin assembly. No change. I'd suggest buying a new one, even though they are pricey. I want a large sauce-pan size pressure cooker like my mom had, it was great. And a new pressure canner, while we're at it.​

NurseDr,

I have been looking at the electric ones alot. For some of the reasons you stated as well. We have been taking our kids camping and to Ultra Marathons a lot. As my wife and I run them. So I will bring a generator for the weekend if we are camping at an event or if we hotel it I think the electric would be awesome. So cooking chili, soups or other meals in that seem to be key.

I have been looking at the 6 & 8.5 qt one from Deni and the Wolfgang Puck & Montel Willams models. I have been looking at the Cusine Art models but I have not been sold on them as of yet.

I have the big Wolfgang Puck bought it off EBAY 60.00 including shipping for a refurb I love it it's a 3 in one I use it for rice and pressure cooking I can use it as a crock pot never have yet it is a wonderful cooker. For camping I have a revere ware one that's way smaller. Saves time and money and the electric just about does everything by its self.

I use my pressure cooker ever since I lived in North Africa. Everyone uses pressure cookers because it cuts down on cooking time thus saving fuel and money. My mother was terrified to hear I was using one. In her day, they had the reputation for being dangerous. I've never had a problem and follow the recommended usage to the letter. They are perfect for tough meat that would require hours of simmering to tenderize. I would say buy a nice one and use it often. You will be glad you did!

Back
Top Bottom