Pretty sure I just treated an imaginary infestation.

Put down the wire hanger - er, I mean the permetherin, Joan Crawford.
:gig
hahahaha. Love that movie so much.
I don't treat unless I see moving bugs on the bird.
Yeah I think I imagined them and panicked. Then when you think you see a bug, you get all itchy and creepy crawly. Lol.
The pale comb season is just starting up good. Your girls better invest in some hats. :D
Now are they getting pale combs cause they’re making their first egg or the heat or what? They are healthy weight so I doubt it’s internal parasites, although I have ivermectin at the ready. No no I won’t use it unless I have to, don’t worry!!

Now are they getting pale combs cause they’re making their first egg or the heat or what?
How old are these birds and how long have you had them?
Are they laying? Birds out of lay will have paler combs.
Are birds eating drinking pooping and moving around OK?

Where are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2019-6-21_7-11-19.png

These birds are about fourteen weeks. I’ve had them since they were about 4 days old. It’s like one will get a pale comb and then the next day be fine and then another will. This coincided with finding the first pullet egg this year which had to have been them. The reason I noticed is because they have had very red combs for a few weeks already, and they are Columbian which makes it stand out more. I am located in middle Tennessee. Currently it’s anywhere from 85-95 during the day with high humidity. The birds are eating and drinking and moving fine. Seem to have normal vigor. They are Colombian Rock crossed with RIR. Don’t know why the hatchery did that. Thought I was getting just rocks at the co op until I read the NPIP form.

These birds are about fourteen weeks. I’ve had them since they were about 4 days old. It’s like one will get a pale comb and then the next day be fine and then another will. This coincided with finding the first pullet egg this year which had to have been them.
Ohhh, well....that is Pullet Paleness Madness.
They get red combed with exertion and you think they are going to lay the next day,
then an hour later they are relaxed and comb is pale again.
It drives you mad with anticipation then disappointment!
Just be patient and continue to observe...
....when they really go red, like a ripe strawberry, you'll know.

Curious, you've been a member here for 10 years...are these your first pullets?

Lol, like @aart said the pullet paleness madness *love that!* And since you're in the south when the dog days hit you know 95 and up temps they'll go pale too. :)
hahahaha. Love that movie so much.

Yeah I think I imagined them and panicked. Then when you think you see a bug, you get all itchy and creepy crawly. Lol.

Now are they getting pale combs cause they’re making their first egg or the heat or what? They are healthy weight so I doubt it’s internal parasites, although I have ivermectin at the ready. No no I won’t use it unless I have to, don’t worry!!

Ohhh, well....that is Pullet Paleness Madness.
They get red combed with exertion and you think they are going to lay the next day,
then an hour later they are relaxed and comb is pale again.
It drives you mad with anticipation then disappointment!
Just be patient and continue to observe...
....when they really go red, like a ripe strawberry, you'll know.

Curious, you've been a member here for 10 years...are these your first pullets?
No not my first pullets, but some that have had the reddest combs the youngest. I mean like fire engine, ruby, ripe tomato red. So I freaked a little when they went pale. Like person tongue pale. Probably just the heat after some cooler weather I guess. But I was just kind of thinking maybe they went pale cause of the effort to lay that first egg. Lol. Oh and for future reference. If it’s just dust you can blow on it and it’ll come right off. Bugs, not so much.

Back
Top Bottom