Prevention of COCCIDIOSIS and other poultry diseases in chicks~ ACV.

I've never used an electrolyte solution so I'm not sure why you are using it or what it contains, but I've found the UP/ACV to have all I need to keep birds thriving...even the CX meaties that have a hard time in the heat and with excessive thirst. I have been consistently using it for this batch of 50 and their poop isn't liquid like CX normally are and they don't drink as much as my last batch...they drink same amount as any other chicken breed really, so they aren't hyper-hydrating or losing electrolytes out the end.

When I bought my chicks at the feed store, they told me they needed the electrolyte solution in their water- it's Vitamins & Electrolytes Plus. Do I not need to be giving them this solution?

Bee...to open up another can of WORMS (pun intended)...

I've seen several people who use more natural methods of raising livestock/chickens refer to de-wormers from firmeadowllc.com. Do you have any experience with their products?

Edited to correct spelling!

Last edited:
No, never heard of them. I just use my own multi-directional approach. I'm pretty frugal...people used to call that cheap or miserly...
lol.png

I'll tell you how I make more unpasteurized ACV right now. Before I had an orchard and could make my own but right now I don't have that, so I just buy regular store bought vinegar and add some of my Bragg's to it, leave the cap off and place it in a dark, room-temp place. Within a week you will see the swirl of the mother starting to build in the new jug. If you don't, add some apple juice to it so that the cultures have some sugar to get a boost and it will happen. I've never had to add the apple juice. When you see a new mother forming, you can cap it and store it somewhere out of the sunlight.
Thank you Bee for posting this! I use a ton of ACV for a plethora of different reasons! I use it for my horses, my dogs, my birds and my family. I tried making my own two falls ago and failed miserably. I am so excited to try your method with the store bought vinegar. If it works it will be a much better fit to my lifestyle than trying to make it from scratch. This is awesome, can't wait to try it!!!! Thanks again!!

Bragg's ACV is the best! It has made a world of difference for my little flock! The company itself has been around for years, and have lots of other products on the market. You can receive lots of informational literature from them.
I mix up a little mash for all my chicks (Braggs, H20, and feed) and since I have been using Braggs there is NO pasty butt drama going on. My grown hens even go crazy for it when I mix a little up in their feed for a treat. I think they enjoy it since it tastes sweet.
I haven't made my own ACV yet since I'm so happy with Braggs-- but I like everyones ideas! Great thread!

I'll tell you how I make more unpasteurized ACV right now. Before I had an orchard and could make my own but right now I don't have that, so I just buy regular store bought vinegar and add some of my Bragg's to it, leave the cap off and place it in a dark, room-temp place. Within a week you will see the swirl of the mother starting to build in the new jug. If you don't, add some apple juice to it so that the cultures have some sugar to get a boost and it will happen. I've never had to add the apple juice. When you see a new mother forming, you can cap it and store it somewhere out of the sunlight.
Forgot to ask though.. how much Bragg's do you add to a gallon of store bought vinegar?

Thanks!!

I think this post just saved my chicks! We've had chickens for 2 years, but this is the first time we are experiencing chicks. It is a whole new learning curve. We will try to make our own ACV, and I happened to have some in my cupboard. I mixed it in with the mash and hope the chicks improve. Thank you so much!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom