Prevention of COCCIDIOSIS and other poultry diseases in chicks~ ACV.

This is all new information to me. I'm so glad I found out about ACV. When you say you buy regular store vinegar and add the Bragg's ACV to it, do you buy apple cider vinegar or white vinegar at the store? After you see the mother developing, you said to cap it and store it in a dark place. Can I use it immediately, or should I wait until..when? I warned you I'm a novice!

The misinformation never stops. If common disinfectants won't neutralize coccidiosis, what makes anyone think ACV will? The truth is it won't. Preventing the build-up of the protozoans in the intestinal tract is the only way a chicken can build immunity. Even then, an overwhelming number of protozoans will destroy a chickens digestive system. They don't have to be on soil to come in contact with it:

"Coccidial organisms survive in the environment because of their exceptional reproductive ability and because of the composition of the walls of their oocysts, which provides extraordinary survival abilities for significant periods of time. Oocysts are disseminated via the feces and litter but may also be disseminated in an airborne fashion, such as by movement of dust, and by vector organisms such as earthworms, beetles, flies, and other pests. Because it is standard practice in the poultry industry, for example, to reuse litter, coccidia in litter from previous infected flocks serves as a reservoir for future infections."
http://osdir.com/patents/Drug-compositions/Methods-compositions-control-coccidiosis-07048937.html

More information here:
http://www.thepoultrysite.com/articles/1138/coccidiosis-control

If anyone thinks they are being harmonious with nature by playing mother hen, I suggest you let your hens hatch your chicks and see what the mortality rate is. Those that are rearing chicks in a brooder to prevent a higher percentage of mortality, I suggest using Probiotic supplements regularly in the water to help build a strong and resistant digestive system. And for preventing and eliminating Coccidiosis, the only two effective substances for prevention of, and treatment for Coccidiosis are:
1. Amprolium
2. Sulfa drugs

Any doubts? Consult with any University that maintains a Poultry department.

Last edited:
So Michael, you're for probiotics but against ACV... which is a probiotic in it's natural form? The way ACV works to prevent cocci is to build up the good bacteria in the gut so the chicks can fight it.... remember the old adage? An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure? Isn't it better to be proactive instead of reactive? I give all my chicks acv for the first couple weeks of life, and occasionally thereafter. I don't get any cases of pasty butt anymore and I haven't had to give corid in a long time. I do treat with corid if they actually contract cocci, but the need seldom arises since I've been giving them ACV. The only time I have trouble is if I get lax about cleaning the brooder or if the brooder is a little too crowded. Just my observation. I drink ACV myself any time I'm not feeling well or just need a pick-me-up, so naturally I give it to my animals as well because I know how good it makes you feel!

Is it ok to just give them apple cider vinegar, can it be white or yellow? I am a little confused here! Is Braggs a brand of natural vinegar? Thanks! Bramasole Bella

Bella, you need ACV with the mother in it... raw and unprocessed. The "mother" is actually a beneficial bacteria, and that's what you're after for the health benefits. White vinegar is a wonderful cleaner/disinfectant, and I use it to clean equipment/feeders, but has no health benefits when consumed. Yes, Braggs is the most common brand, but you can use any brand of raw vinegar with the mother in it. Or you can make your own. It's not hard but it does take some time. Just google "make apple cider vinegar" and you will get a ton of pages explaining how to do it.
smile.png

Thanks to both of you for both sides of the debate. My chicks are fine and are on medicated feed. I do know how good ACV is for people and think it can't hurt to give some to my girls. Does yogurt have the same good benefits?

So Michael, you're for probiotics but against ACV... which is a probiotic in it's natural form? The way ACV works to prevent cocci is to build up the good bacteria in the gut so the chicks can fight it.... remember the old adage? An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure? Isn't it better to be proactive instead of reactive? I give all my chicks acv for the first couple weeks of life, and occasionally thereafter. I don't get any cases of pasty butt anymore and I haven't had to give corid in a long time. I do treat with corid if they actually contract cocci, but the need seldom arises since I've been giving them ACV. The only time I have trouble is if I get lax about cleaning the brooder or if the brooder is a little too crowded. Just my observation. I drink ACV myself any time I'm not feeling well or just need a pick-me-up, so naturally I give it to my animals as well because I know how good it makes you feel!

Probiotics build the intestinal flora of the gut, regular use of ACV doesn't. Your lack of reasoning and the realism attributable to prevention of Coccidiosis will eventually cause you to learn the hard way. Don't say I didn't warn you.

Thanks to both of you for both sides of the debate. My chicks are fine and are on medicated feed. I do know how good ACV is for people and think it can't hurt to give some to my girls. Does yogurt have the same good benefits?

Yogurt is beneficial for developed chickens, not chicks. Added calcium in a chick's diet creates all sorts of problems. Here's some factual information about calcium and phosphorus imbalances:
http://www.poultrynews.com/New/Diseases/Merks/207009.htm

The misinformation never stops. If common disinfectants won't neutralize coccidiosis, what makes anyone think ACV will? The truth is it won't. Preventing the build-up of the protozoans in the intestinal tract is the only way a chicken can build immunity. Even then, an overwhelming number of protozoans will destroy a chickens digestive system. They don't have to be on soil to come in contact with it:

"Coccidial organisms survive in the environment because of their exceptional reproductive ability and because of the composition of the walls of their oocysts, which provides extraordinary survival abilities for significant periods of time. Oocysts are disseminated via the feces and litter but may also be disseminated in an airborne fashion, such as by movement of dust, and by vector organisms such as earthworms, beetles, flies, and other pests. Because it is standard practice in the poultry industry, for example, to reuse litter, coccidia in litter from previous infected flocks serves as a reservoir for future infections."
http://osdir.com/patents/Drug-compositions/Methods-compositions-control-coccidiosis-07048937.html

More information here:
http://www.thepoultrysite.com/articles/1138/coccidiosis-control

If anyone thinks they are being harmonious with nature by playing mother hen, I suggest you let your hens hatch your chicks and see what the mortality rate is. Those that are rearing chicks in a brooder to prevent a higher percentage of mortality, I suggest using Probiotic supplements regularly in the water to help build a strong and resistant digestive system. And for preventing and eliminating Coccidiosis, the only two effective substances for prevention of, and treatment for Coccidiosis are:
1. Amprolium
2. Sulfa drugs

Any doubts? Consult with any University that maintains a Poultry department.

Yes...because we know that the federally funded science(i.e. drug company funded) for poultry is soooooooo like a backyard environment in the controlled studies.
roll.png
Any University? Please....just because it's supposed to be an institution on education, does not automatically follow that they have all the knowledge on the subject. No studies are being done on the efficacy of ACV because it is cheap and easily obtainable...nothing that will generate any money from those who would donate funds to ag science programs at universities so that their drugs can be constantly touted as the way to go in the agricultural world.

Please, peddle the drugs elsewhere....many people are finding the preventative properties of ACV, both for animals and for humans, and the proof is right in the back yard for many of us. Not in controlled studies done in a university ag lab. Be sorry? I've never had any cases of cocci overgrowth in my flocks, nor have I had any chick deaths from broody hatch or foster broody management. I've never been sorry about using ACV in my animal husbandry and I've had the healthiest flocks one could ever have...it's not just luck, it's called preventative management.

Save it for the college kids who don't know a real chicken from a chicken McNugget.
wink.png
Let us "suffer the consequences" of our poor ignorant actions as we gaze upon our healthy livestock in the back yard.....

Please....just because it's supposed to be an institution on education, does not automatically follow that they have all the knowledge on the subject. No studies are being done on the efficacy of ACV because it is cheap and easily obtainable...

The proof remains in the recorded trial periods of monitoring nutrition or the use of medicine. Enlighten me about how effective ACV is against Coccidiosis, or Aspergillosis, or Histomoniasis, or Cholera.

Please, peddle the drugs elsewhere....

Even with a "please" the pompous accusation leaves you to prove how ACV is a better treatment for Coccidiosis than Amprolium or Sulfa drugs.

many people are finding the preventative properties of ACV, both for animals and for humans, and the proof is right in the back yard for many of us.

Again, proof?

Not in controlled studies done in a university ag lab.

As opposed to uncontrolled studies done by someone who developed a website and has a half dozen chickens in their backyard.

I've never had any cases of cocci overgrowth in my flocks, nor have I had any chick deaths from broody hatch or foster broody management. I've never been sorry about using ACV in my animal husbandry and I've had the healthiest flocks one could ever have...it's not just luck, it's called preventative management.

All attributable to ACV I'm sure. Be fortunate you might be able to attribute "health" to nutrition aside from that miracle of ACV. And to the amount of migratory birds in the environment, the climate, and those who carefully bred the strains you may now possess. After 30 years of keeping poultry, having chickens that lived more than a decade, I must know nothing about that preventative management you speak of.

Save it for the college kids who don't know a real chicken from a chicken McNugget.
wink.png
Let us "suffer the consequences" of our poor ignorant actions as we gaze upon our healthy livestock in the back yard.....

Yeah, I'm sure those professors of Poultry Departments at universities probably don't know as much as you do. After all, it is likely a Big Pharma conspiracy against nature.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom