Privett hatchery

I ordered my Chicks from Stromberg's Chicks & Game Birds Unlimited I read where a few people had said that Stromberg's gets their birds from Privett Hatchery
seeing this only worries me
1f623.png
1f629.png
1f622.png
I hope and pray my Chicks aren't in bad shape!! I ordered (6)Light Brahmas, (5) Black Jersey Giants, (5)Salmon Faverolles
I'm hoping that they'll be healthy. I also have Save A Chick Antibiotics and Electrolytes to add to their water for the next few days after their arrival. I was told to add sugar in a care sheet but someone told me that Save A Chick might be a better choice. I've only heard negative things, sadly and I realize people have their own opinions I just wish I heard more positive things. I too, have a Tractor Supply Comapny where I live but they weren't getting the chick breeds in which I desired. I checked with local feed stores and none had these breeds, so I found Stromberg's on-line requested a catalogue and started researching before ordering for the past year in a half. I must say that when it comes to Tractor Supply in my area they're awesome!! I love their workers and Igo into the store so much they know my fiance and I by name. I have faith and hope that my chicks will be healthy. I have a heat lamp (red) it's especially for keeping heat on chicks, I made a Brooder, bought medicated Starter chick feed, a waterer, a feeder and all purchased from Tractor Supply accept the Chicks.

Last edited:
I ordered 50 chicks from them in January and I'm pleased so far. Combination of buff orpington, speckled sussex, barred rock, and silver laced wyandottes. Lost 2 out of the 51 they sent and the rest have been doing great!

I'm doing a video series on them from 1 week of age to 8 weeks if anybody is interested I'll leave the link below.

I bought 5 Black Australorps from IFA, my local farm store. They get their chicks from Privett. I bought pullets but of the 5 chicks 2 turned out to be roosters. That's a 40% error rate on sexing! I've checked out other hatcheries online and most guarantee and error rate of 10% and will refund the cost of the pullets if you get more than 10% roosters. Unfortunately, when buying from a fee/farm store there's no guarantee. I stopped by IFA yesterday to find out what hatchery they got their chicks from. The girl in charge of ordering also ended up with 2 roosters out of 6 or 7 pullets. She said other customers had come in and mentioned they got roosters when they were supposed to be pullets. The chicks all appeared healthy, are growing quickly, and are thriving. They are now 7 weeks old.

If I wanted straight run, I would have bought straight run. I won't get chicks from them again. I don't want any roosters. I may keep one rooster if I one turns out to be nice because Australorps can be broody and I can then have them hatch and raise the babies. But then I will end up with more roosters!

I hope your chicks all turned out be healthy and what you ordered!

When I say "Show quality", I mean that the markings and coloring is correct, with the correct comb type, number of toes, color of legs, eyes, etc.

If you go to the Privett website, their price list has a disclaimer on it saying that they do not guarantee Show Quality birds.

So I ordered 25 Black Australorps this week from Privett. I spent days painstakingly researching trying to decide where to order from and what. Read all the reviews here and elsewhere. I live in Arizona, and getting chicks shipped so close (New Mexico) was a big deciding factor for this time of year. Also, from what i can tell from everything I've read is that most of the bad reviews for Privett have been people that have bought through third parties like feed stores and TSC's. I've been seeing mostly good comments from people that order directly. Maybe they put more effort into handpicking the personal orders as opposed to the business orders? I don't know, just imagining. I also didn't want to order from such a big company, but price was also a really big factor and I was blown away by how low my total price was.
I'm excited as I've never ordered my own chicks before. I've always bought at feed stores, livestock auctions, or craigslist. I live in a really small town where the post office is only open to the public Mon-Thurs, so I talked to my awesome postmaster yesterday about how they are expected on Friday, and now she's excited with me.
I'll post here about their condition when they arrive.

Picked up the chicks today and got them in the brooder. Were in a hurry to get under that heat lamp, but all 25 made it alive and kickin'. There are a couple that seem weak, will have to wait and see if they make it. There's one that's all grey and white instead of black and white and I'm wondering if it could turn out a little blue... I don't think Privett breeds blue australorps, at least they weren't listed...

They are 5 days old now and still all 25 accounted for. I really do think that ordering from a hatchery that's closer and within a similar climate is making a difference in success. I know the next few weeks are still up in the air, but I really expected to lose at least a couple to the initial die off by now.
0.jpg

Privett hatchery has supplied me with my 2 chicks, 2 more coming Friday. These girls are SO healthy! They arrived in great condition within one day and have been the sweetest addition to my flock. SO pleased!

Back
Top Bottom