Probiotics for baby chicks

Zarhya

Chirping
Aug 3, 2022
Hello, I have 3 baby chicks and I don't know what kind of probiotics I should give my baby chicks. Any suggestions or any information would be really helpful. Thanks!!

You'll find differences of opinion about the efficacy and value of probiotics here. I am a fan of probiotics, for poultry and for people. 🙂 Are probiotics necessary for poultry to survive? Maybe not, but I think they play a part in achieving optimal health.

While chick starter may have probiotics, they're dried, which has a negative impact on the microbes; "raw" sources like raw vinegar will have the most active microbes. I like to add a little Rooster Booster vitamin and electrolyte supplement to my chicks' water for the first couple of days, then I transition them to a little raw vinegar in their water. Based on their reactions (consistently), they enjoy the flavor of the vinegar splashed into their water. I've also found that the probiotics have helped prevent or resolve pasty butts.

There are many ways to get probiotics into your poultry's diet, including fermenting their feed, offering cultures like extra kombucha SCOBYs or water kefir grains, etc. My girls always enjoy ripping apart SCOBYs. 🦖

I use hydro-hen for my chicks everytime, it has electrolytes (in case they don't drink enough), probiotics, and acidifiers. Is it necessary, probably not, but I have always had healthy chicks this way so I don't plan to stop.
P.s. this time I am also using nutra-drench in their water, but you don't have to do that

I use hydro-hen for my chicks everytime, it has electrolytes (in case they don't drink enough), probiotics, and acidifiers. Is it necessary, probably not, but I have always had healthy chicks this way so I don't plan to stop.
P.s. this time I am also using nutra-drench in their water, but you don't have to do that
I'm also a fan of Poultry Nutri-Drench, particularly for treating wry neck. Probiotics, electrolytes, and vitamin supplements like the ones mentioned (Sav-A-Chick is another I've used) are always good to have in the poultry first aid kit. :highfive:

I'm also a fan of Poultry Nutri-Drench, particularly for treating wry neck. Probiotics, electrolytes, and vitamin supplements like the ones mentioned (Sav-A-Chick is another I've used) are always good to have in the poultry first aid kit. :highfive:
Definitely! I always have nutra-drench and rooster booster b-12 on hand as well as ACV, hydro hen, and some other stuff to give sick or injured birds a boost (or when I just want to give my flock a boost)

Back
Top Bottom