problems hatching lavender orphington eggs

Tfonda

In the Brooder
5 Years
Feb 7, 2014
Dothan, AL
okay so i have been trying to hatch lavendar orphrington eggs and am fairly new to hatching. The last round I stayed around 25-40 humidity for days 1-18 and on lockdown kept it at 70-75. I only had two out of 18 hatch. The chicks all seemed fine when put into lockdown. I didnt open any to see what happened but I suspect it was a humidty problem. Is it too low too high. Ive noticed the lavender chicks tend to have a harder time hatching then say my RIR chicks. Anyone else had this problem. About to put another batch on lockdown in a couple days and just wanted some input on what i should run my humidity at. Thanks guys.

okay so i have been trying to hatch lavendar orphrington eggs and am fairly new to hatching. The last round I stayed around 25-40 humidity for days 1-18 and on lockdown kept it at 70-75. I only had two out of 18 hatch. The chicks all seemed fine when put into lockdown. I didnt open any to see what happened but I suspect it was a humidty problem. Is it too low too high. Ive noticed the lavender chicks tend to have a harder time hatching then say my RIR chicks. Anyone else had this problem. About to put another batch on lockdown in a couple days and just wanted some input on what i should run my humidity at. Thanks guys.
Those numbers look good to me, Have you ever checked your thermometer and hygrometer for accuracy? The two that did hatch were they on time or late? Do you monitor your air cells to check if your humidity needs adjusting? What kind of bator are you using and is it still or forced air and what temp are you incubating at? Sorry for all the questions but they may help determine what is going on if it's not breed specific.

yes they have been checked I usually have about 3 thermoneters/hygrometer in the bator. It is a still air with temp fluctuations from 99-102...the two that hatched were right on time at 21 days... I think it maybe an air cell issue since we have lots of humidity here in South Alabama trying to keep himidity as low as possible on this hatch hopefully will be better but trying o decide how high is too high on hatch... But my air cells just seem really small and it's day 18:(

yes they have been checked I usually have about 3 thermoneters/hygrometer in the bator. It is a still air with temp fluctuations from 99-102...the two that hatched were right on time at 21 days... I think it maybe an air cell issue since we have lots of humidity here in South Alabama trying to keep himidity as low as possible on this hatch hopefully will be better but trying o decide how high is too high on hatch... But my air cells just seem really small and it's day 18:(
Then you may be right if you are seeing small air cells. It could be the LO's shells are thicker and less porous so it doesn't let the moisture escape as efficiently. Have you tried doing a "dry" incubation and just not adding any water if your incubator can hold at least 25% humidity dry? I prefer to run completely dry if humidity allows. If not I stick a wet sponge in the bator and that will usually hold it right around the 30 mark. The numbers you've given are in a good range, for the average egg.
This is my method: http://letsraisechickens.weebly.com...anuals-understanding-and-controlling-humidity but it sounds as if you are already fairly doing about the same thing.

I just hatched 10 out of 14 LO's. One had quit around day 19, one zipped about halfway, then quit and died (before I even realized it had quit moving... I thought it was resting). The last 2 never pipped but should have. They were developed, so I don't know why they didn't hatch. I used about the same humidity you are using. Mine pipped and zipped fairly easily. In other words, I'm not much help, except that I did ok with about the same conditions you describe. I will add that my humidity would even go up as high as 80-82 at times (when hatching was active)

Back
Top Bottom