Processed my Buff Orphingtons

Connorrm

Songster
13 Years
Apr 27, 2011
Capital District, NY
Well, for those of you wondering how non-cornish cross chicks are here you go. Today my 10 Buff Orphington Roosters were processed. They were raised on free range with meat bird feed (I wanted to see if it gave them that Oomph). These birds are not gorgers so I don't think the feed made any difference. They simply wanted to forage for most of their food. Here you go:

10 Birds, average weight 4.2lbs after processing with neck and giblets. They were hatched on April 2nd. They were hatchery stock only one really looked like a nice "picture perfect bird". The rest had missing tail feathers (like no plumes or anything), looked like scraggly leghorns, or were just a very lean lean bird.

From day old to 8 weeks they went through two bags of 50lb starter.

From 8 weeks to Slaughter they went through 3 bags of pellets.

They had food/water available 24/7. With the warm winter/early spring there were plenty of bugs, fresh grasses, and plants for them to nosh on. I didn't restrict them to pens, they were free range from 8 weeks on. I also didn't lose any and locked them in the coop at night.

Looks like you have about $1.50 per lb of meat. I did a flock of cornishX this past week and had 48 cents worth in each lb of meat. Just a comparison.

Look at those long drumsticks!
clap.gif

Enjoyyou chicken dinner !

I'd like to know as well.
Well here goes. I got 27 cornishx chicks. The total feed was
50# starter $14.73
180# 18% mash $36.00
60# whole corn $6.96
Total feed $57.69
One chick died at 5 weeks. I didn't put in chick cost or dressing. I butched them myself.
Dressed 8 at 50 days dessed wt 25# ( all pullets)
" 8 at 57 days 40#
10 at 72 days 53#
Total wt of dressed birds 118# The total cost of feed per lb of meat is 48.8 cent per lb.
This flock didn't grow as fast as nomal due to the extreme heat. It got 102 degrees 2 days. Had it been cooler they would have eatem more and grew faster. I didn't figure the cost of chick or processing because it varies so. I feed lower protein feed which lowers cost and get birds that live better dress with less fat on the carcass.
I would appricate any conments .
Gary

Back
Top Bottom