Processing Day Support Group ~ HELP us through the Emotions PLEASE!

I'm not talking a knife-- it's the complete set in a butcher block and they will last a lifetime.
I actually had a job selling cutco when I was 18 and really wanted the complete set since then. 11 years later I got my own set when husband bought them for me. I spend a couple hours a day in the kitchen cooking, and they're something I get a lot of use out of, so they are worth it. And honestly, I'm the kinda girl that would rather have a nice set of knives than something with diamonds. We're far from rich, I hope I wasn't coming across that way. I'm a stay at home mom and my husband is enlisted (not an officer) in the Army and we're in our late 20s. He had saved up some money from a deployment and this was my 5 year anniversary present.

I don't know about living on different planets-- pretty much ever good knife set here on Earth runs about that. Can you even buy like a single knife at walmart for $15? The same size Henkel's set is about $800 and in my opinion not nearly as nice. Some of the really nice handcrafted chef knives can sell for $1000 an inch!

Obviously you wouldn't go spend this just for a better chicken knife, when I saw you guys talking about knives I was just saying this is what I have and it's working great. I wasn't trying to imply everyone should run out and by them. But they are a nice thing to go on your long term dream list (took me 11 years to get mine!) Most people who bought them from me were buying as wedding gifts.

Oh, hon, I wasn't talking like you were the one on another planet...I AM!
gig.gif
I couldn't ever spend a thousand dollars on a set of knives...the only time I've ever had that much money it was earmarked for rent, utilities or feeding the kids. I'm like you, though...if it came to a ring or a good set of knives, I'd definitely take the knives. That's something you can actually use!

I have the cutco set and my husband used the paring knife and pretty much took their heads off instantly.
Not sure if you can just buy individual knives. This is the set we have is about $1,000, but lifetime guaranteed.
But I use them for everything, best knives I've ever used (and I spent a decade working in restaurants)
And the butcher knife cuts through bones like butter

http://www.cutco.com/products/product.jsp?itemGroup=2018C
I, too, have some Cutco knives and I quite like them. I used the paring knife on one kill and wasn't very happy with its performance. The blame probably lies with my technique--I suspect I don't use enough force/pressure. I also have Henkel knives. I need to send them out to be professionally sharpened--they've been really abused.

This discussion prompted me to call Victorinox customer service where I had a discussion of which knife I should use. She pointed out that some Victorinox knives are stamped and some are forged. I would think a forged knife would be a better knife, but I could be wrong. She also brought up the antibacterial properties of the handles, recommending Fibrox handle.

Well we are killing this weekend so I bought a Buck knife. We handled a lot and it seemed to be the best fit. Again meant for fishing, but much higher quality and the other side is serated for cutting the heads off after.

I think this will work well. If I'm wrong, someone let me know before Saturday :p

On his website it shows:
PROCESSING and PACKAGING
  • Packaging – Uline 800-295-5510
  • Processing/Knives – Bunzl – 800-456-5624
Which list the brand "Dexter/Russel" I have a sticking knife of this brand. I did not realize it was a sticking knife when I ordered, so it isn't doing me much good. I don't want to plithe. I can't seem to find a "butchering knife" from Swiss Army. There is such a selection. I have no idea what would be a good general purpose killing knife. A filleting knife maybe?
I used a boning knife made by Montana Knife Works for all of my butchering chores. From cutting the head off, to feet, to evisceration. It is built like a filet knife but a little stiffer. I sharpened it before I started and finished the job with a blade still sharp enough to cut tomatoes. I love this knife and would not have any other.

We had a rusty hardcore Chinese style knife (the big square ones you see the mean guy using in Chinatown in any movie from the 80's)
It was ugly and rusty and dirty, but had an edge that couldnt be messed with.
You could hack wood to bits then go to skinning a flea.
I miss that knife.
Just wish it was made of better steel that didnt rust so much, then I coulda used it in the kitchen too.

Sometimes a knife is worth a lot of money because they make every part of life easier.
Most of those wal-mart knifes are nothing but a screwdriver after a couple months of use, cant even cut an onion unless you have a hydraulic press.
Then again, I worked in kitchens until I was about 19 and my hobby is cooking.

Those Buck Knives look good.
Usually anything made for processing fish is good for poultry too.
The only concern would be blade flex, you don't want one that can bend back and forth for chicken, only fish and maybe boning shanks of meat.
(my opinion)

Unless they are making them better, the Buck knives won't hold an edge for long. We've used them for gutting deer and they wouldn't stay as sharp as an old Kmart cheapy with a plastic bone-look handle bought years and years ago.

The Rada knives we use are cheap priced but have killed many, many a chicken and cut up many, many deer, not to mention beef and lamb. It's all in who is sharpening the knife and how, what level of steel the knife contains and the skill of the user. An expensive knife is not necessarily magic when it comes to processing, but common sense comes in real handy.

We had a rusty hardcore Chinese style knife (the big square ones you see the mean guy using in Chinatown in any movie from the 80's)
It was ugly and rusty and dirty, but had an edge that couldnt be messed with.
You could hack wood to bits then go to skinning a flea.
I miss that knife.
Just wish it was made of better steel that didnt rust so much, then I coulda used it in the kitchen too.

Sometimes a knife is worth a lot of money because they make every part of life easier.
Most of those wal-mart knifes are nothing but a screwdriver after a couple months of use, cant even cut an onion unless you have a hydraulic press.
Then again, I worked in kitchens until I was about 19 and my hobby is cooking.

Those Buck Knives look good.
Usually anything made for processing fish is good for poultry too.
The only concern would be blade flex, you don't want one that can bend back and forth for chicken, only fish and maybe boning shanks of meat.
(my opinion)
I have one of those rusty Chinese cleavers! My husband loves it. I do have to be careful it doesn't leave a rust stain on everything.

I bought a Buck knife and wasn't happy with it. The hunters I know said that those knives won't keep an edge. Try cutting paper with it. It should be able to easily slice through paper--if not it isn't sharp. I bought another manufacturer's brand that was recommended to me, but the name escapes me.

I've killed four chickens using three knives and haven't been happy with any. Do you think maybe it is ME that is the problem???? I'm going to go Kassandra's route and get a little gun.

Could be. The biggest problem I saw at the processing demonstration for newbies was they didn't cut decisively enough. Surprisingly enough, the smallest and most timid girl did the best cut...darn near cut the whole head off! It takes a deep and intentional cut at a good angle to make a good, clean cut...quick and deep. Chicken skin is just not that thick, especially in the area that needs to be cut.

A sharper blade in timid hands can become a dangerous thing for the one holding it, as mistakes are made when the skill level is low. Be careful with these super knives you all are buying..if it will lop off a chicken's head with that much ease it would have no problem taking off a finger or thumb.

Back
Top Bottom