Processing Day Support Group ~ HELP us through the Emotions PLEASE!

Unless they are making them better, the Buck knives won't hold an edge for long. We've used them for gutting deer and they wouldn't stay as sharp as an old Kmart cheapy with a plastic bone-look handle bought years and years ago.

The Rada knives we use are cheap priced but have killed many, many a chicken and cut up many, many deer, not to mention beef and lamb. It's all in who is sharpening the knife and how, what level of steel the knife contains and the skill of the user. An expensive knife is not necessarily magic when it comes to processing, but common sense comes in real handy.

Was it one for fishing or for deer though? The blade is thin like one you would use to filet.

5-0-star.png

Twinstick
Western NY State
Jan 02, 2012​
Pros: Blade Material, Finish, Handle Material, Weight, Overall Quality, None
Cons: Sheath/Scabbard
Awesome little knife !
This is a great little knife. FINALLY-serrations done right, on the spine of blade, more than an inch of em & faced right for a right hander. Was kinda sharp. Is razor sharp now. Sheath sucks, but nowadays, pricepoint is important. It is worthy of a custom sheath. Get one or you may loose it. It is a great all around knife, whether for fish or not. It could have used a finger guard on top as well---for when using the serrated side & knife is upside down in the hand. Handle is good & grippy.
3-0-star.png

K.C.
va
Aug 05, 2011​
Pros: Blade Sharpness, Blade Material, Handle Material, Materials
Cons: Sheath/Scabbard, None

the knife is good but the sheath is junk. You put the sheath on your belt or pants and when you extract the knife the sheath comes off with it every time
4-0-star.png

Jeff Austin
Sydney Australia
Jun 02, 2011​
Pros: Blade Material, Blade Sharpness, Handle Material, Weight, Overall Quality, None
Cons: Sheath/Scabbard
Great knife but!!!
Good weighted and solid knife with a non slip handle. Excellent blade that holds its edge fairly well. Only negative is if put on a belt it comes off easily and can be lost in surf or rocks as did mine. have taken this up with Buck and they are looking into it.
5-0-star.png

Rush
Kununurra, Western Australia
Mar 26, 2011​
Pros: Blade Sharpness, Sheath/Scabbard, Handle Material, Blade Material, Materials, Weight, Overall Quality, Finish
Cons: None
Very Nice!
Comes with a plastic sheath which you can clip onto your belt. I bought the whole Silver Creek line and they match perfectly. This knife feels good in the hands with nice balance. Everyone I have shown is impressed and I have no hesitation recommending this knife - especially to fisherpersons!
5-0-star.png

Paul
Shelby, NC
Sep 17, 2009​
Pros: Sheath/Scabbard, Blade Sharpness, Overall Quality, Handle Material, Blade Material
Buck makes great knives and is a company of the highest integrity.

5-0-star.png

Mr Fisherman
CAPE COD,MA
Sep 08, 2009​
Pros: Materials, Handle Material, Blade Material, Finish, Weight, Overall Quality, Blade Sharpness
Cons: Sheath/Scabbard, None
I LIKE THE KNIFE BECAUSE IT IS SHORT .
THE SIZE IS THE BEST FEATURE & THE SAW BLADE FOR CUTTING THROUGH THE BACK BONE OF LARGE SALTWATER FISH.
4-0-star.png

C.Rodgers
nsw australia
Jul 03, 2009​
Pros: Blade Sharpness, Sheath/Scabbard, Handle Material, Blade Material, Materials, Weight, Overall Quality, Finish
excellent product no problems found

The reviews are really good with this particular blade.

I couldn't ship one, and couldn't find the blade you mentioned. I did find some Victorinox but they did not feel right for the job in my hand. They didn't look like the ones Polyface uses.

I however do have a Victorinox 5 piece Chef's Knife set from my air miles. I am not sure if any of the knives there would be recommended for killing, but I use them for evisceration.

The Rada knives look like the ones my grandmother has and they are always super sharp. I think I am going to get me a couple to try. My parents have cutco and I loved them. My knife drawer is a hodge podge of various knives I have collected over the years. Would love to find one brand that I can afford and just changed out all my knives.

Thanks for all the links.

Quote:
Nope. Just the plain ol' carving knives and paring knives. I like the carving knives for making the cut, because the longer handle provides good leverage, and the paring knives for doing the rest. A blade is pretty much a blade and if it cuts tendon on a chicken or deer, it will do the job. One doesn't use these knives for cutting big bones and such, as it's not necessary.

Since all the talk of knives and cutting, I have a related question. How are you guys splitting your chicken breast????? W/o ruining knives.

Since all the talk of knives and cutting, I have a related question. How are you guys splitting your chicken breast????? W/o ruining knives.

For me, when I cut up the chicken, those breasts are just fileted off the rib cage and frozen boneless. Then the legs are removed via the joints/cartilage at hip and knee. The wings are removed at the shoulder joint if they are big and meaty, if not, they are left on the carcass for stock meat. That leaves the back and rib cage intact, which I generally use for stock meat only, so no real cutting needs to happen on the breast bones or cartilage.

Over the years have seen lots of conversation about knives and the most important qualities are 1) a blade that is capable of being sharpened and 2) the ability to sharpen it. Some folks think the 'need' a fancy knife. And while a certain blade shape, length, or weight may feel good to the user it's keeping a sharp one that's important. Higher quality blades keep a sharp edge longer, but if you can only afford a modest quality one, just make sure you sharpen frequently. And don't expect it to come straight from the store that way!

Over the years have seen lots of conversation about knives and the most important qualities are 1) a blade that is capable of being sharpened and 2) the ability to sharpen it. Some folks think the 'need' a fancy knife. And while a certain blade shape, length, or weight may feel good to the user it's keeping a sharp one that's important. Higher quality blades keep a sharp edge longer, but if you can only afford a modest quality one, just make sure you sharpen frequently. And don't expect it to come straight from the store that way!

Yep! There is no denying that some knives are just better all the way around, due to craftsmanship and quality of steel, but even an expensive knife is only as good as the one sharpening it for use. Some require more sharpening, some less, some won't hold onto an edge for any amount of sharpening, but the difference is all in the number of times you are willing to stop and sharpen the blade.

With the right sharpener, this can be done quite quickly and with a minimum of skill.

Yep! There is no denying that some knives are just better all the way around, due to craftsmanship and quality of steel, but even an expensive knife is only as good as the one sharpening it for use. Some require more sharpening, some less, some won't hold onto an edge for any amount of sharpening, but the difference is all in the number of times you are willing to stop and sharpen the blade.

With the right sharpener, this can be done quite quickly and with a minimum of skill.
How do you sharpen your knives? Thanks for all your input--it is so helpful for us novices.

How do you sharpen your knives? Thanks for all your input--it is so helpful for us novices.

I'm a lazy sharpener and like it done quickly and with no fuss, so I use a typical knife sharpener. My current favorite came from Smith's: http://www.smithsproducts.com/category/edgesport/

My son and my brother are purists and they like to use stones and ceramics for sharpening deer knives but that takes some level of skill to do well...that's something I've never taken the time to attain, so I stick with the easy route.
big_smile.png
I don't need to shave the hair on my arms, just need to be able to slice meat and tendon without haggling the product. Smith's is affordable and they do the job well, so I don't look any further.

Mine is similar to this one in design and action:

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom