Processing Day Support Group ~ HELP us through the Emotions PLEASE!

There are a few differences between how today's kids view animals and how they did in the "old days." Don't underestimate the psychological pain caused by witnessing slaughter.

There has been a fundamental shift away by science and society from not even thinking animals were sentient beings to anthropomorphism to the extreme. (Anthropomorphism is when you give animals human qualities and traits.) In the "old days," the children would have been exposed to slaughter of chickens since they were babies. That's not the same as exposing a child suddenly to slaughter and death, and it gets really upsetting if it is of a pet. Death is kept far away from our society, hidden away in hospitals. Before antibiotics were discovered in the last century not so long ago, a simple scratch or cut could kill you.

Please, just don't underestimate what is going on in your kids' minds.
I really think it is an individual thing, and most of how the child will take it depends on how the adults handle it. If the adults act like it is a normal, everyday event and take the time to explain what is happening, I think most children will not be traumatized. In fact, a large percentage will be fascinated and want to play with the parts. Last Saturday I got together with a few friends to do in some excess roosters, and one of the kids was entertaining us by having a dance competition between the headless, featherless carcasses that were waiting to be gutted. It was darn funny, too.

OTOH, my mother was raised on backyard chickens and fish and game, and she will not have any part of processing chickens. She does not want me to tell her which bird is which. But she sure loves eating the birds I raise. She brags to her friends about how good they taste.

I think if it is a humane process and the children's feelings are respected, it will be fine for most children. There will be a few who cannot handle it, but that is true for almost everything. There are some children who cannot handle it if their food touches on their plate. There are some who will have a melt down if their daily routine is disrupted. Childhood is full of little traumas that teach us how to deal with the big traumas.

Excellent pic! Gives me a good feeling to see others teaching their kids about food sources and helping them connect with their food supply.
thumbsup.gif

Y'all got all those birds done and I didn't even do the one bird I had planned on doing...I'm such a slacker!
gig.gif

Good job on all counts and I'm hoping to hear how everyone's birds tasted. There really is no comparison with store bought chicken and that raised in a home setting..a whole different flavor, smell and texture.
Our Western culture is so very disconnected from where our food really comes from. I remember a story of a city mom who offered her 6-year old's friend a bunch of carrots right out of her garden. The little girl sniffed in disgust, we don't eat food that comes from dirt. We've shifted so far away from our agrarian roots.

I'm happy for your old hen. It wasn't time. She's happy and you're at peace. All is right in the world.

Our Western culture is so very disconnected from where our food really comes from. I remember a story of a city mom who offered her 6-year old's friend a bunch of carrots right out of her garden. The little girl sniffed in disgust, we don't eat food that comes from dirt. We've shifted so far away from our agrarian roots.

I'm happy for your old hen. It wasn't time. She's happy and you're at peace. All is right in the world.

It really depends on the the child. There were three kids next door who stayed for the summer at their grandparents. They begged to watch us process the birds. I would have let them if I was prepared for all the questions that were to come. I don't have kids yet. I will. But three kids asking questions at once for someone not used to explaining things to kids is a lot to take in with processing on top of that. Next summer I will.

They were 10, 7 and 4.

I wouldn't make a child who doesn't want to see it see it. But when I have kids, they will be exposed to it very young. I was not exposed to this stuff growing up. My father sugar coated EVERYTHING. He grew up on a farm. I am not sure why he told me road kill was sleeping.. Anyway.. I didn't experience death until we started keeping chickens. I have really had to change my entire way of thinking. There were a lot of tears.. Now I am a lot better with death. I would deal with it better if I was exposed young, and I know that.

My nephew has experienced dead chicks and had no issue. Oh and the kids that stayed actually picked up a dead bird that a hawk almost got (but dropped) and carried it to me. Kids are a lot stronger than adults that were never exposed.

Last edited:
I am now finished with mine also. We only did 10 because the 11th one escaped. He was to be the last and he made a prison escape and is now on the lamb. Last I saw him he was headed over the hill. But it was a successful day. I spent the day teaching, coaching, and doing much of the work myself. But the kids all learned a lot so I count the day well spent.
That is just great! My little ones love helping with our food, right now they are a bit to young to introduce this part of it to. My 5 year old is curious about it and at the last minute tried to convince us to let him help today. He is a VERY active 5, and considering most of the grown-ups were still learning we thought it best to wait one more year. My Husband's Godson (7) helped and after watching the first 3 or 4 birds he was ready to jump in and help a bit!

My nephew has experienced dead chicks and had no issue. Oh and the kids that stayed actually picked up a dead bird that a hawk almost got (but dropped) and carried it to me. Kids are a lot stronger than adults that were never exposed.

Something dying and being dead is a whole lot different that killing something! Slaughter is disturbing for a lot of people, kids included.

I loved dissection in biology, am still fascinated poking through the innards of dead animals although I have yet to explore the innards of the chickens I've slaughtered. One day the science teacher let us dissect live frogs. I can't believe he allowed kids in Grade 8 pith frogs!!! Being the animal lover, I used ether to put the frog to sleep while he was pithed. I didn't do a good job pithing the frog and he woke up. It was an incredibly traumatic event for me.

When I was in my early 20s I hit a rabbit with my car. I went back and the darn rabbit was still alive, gurgling. I knew exactly what to do. I lined my car wheel up (it was on a steep hill) and all I had to do was put my foot on the clutch and the car would quickly put that rabbit out of its misery. I couldn't do it! I was disgusted with myself, crying at the side of the road. A man came and rescued me and promised he would dispatch the rabbit.

I think now, thanks to you folks, I could dispatch that rabbit without any problem, but it has taken me a long time to get here.

Something dying and being dead is a whole lot different that killing something! Slaughter is disturbing for a lot of people, kids included.

I loved dissection in biology, am still fascinated poking through the innards of dead animals although I have yet to explore the innards of the chickens I've slaughtered. One day the science teacher let us dissect live frogs. I can't believe he allowed kids in Grade 8 pith frogs!!! Being the animal lover, I used ether to put the frog to sleep while he was pithed. I didn't do a good job pithing the frog and he woke up. It was an incredibly traumatic event for me.

When I was in my early 20s I hit a rabbit with my car. I went back and the darn rabbit was still alive, gurgling. I knew exactly what to do. I lined my car wheel up (it was on a steep hill) and all I had to do was put my foot on the clutch and the car would quickly put that rabbit out of its misery. I couldn't do it! I was disgusted with myself, crying at the side of the road. A man came and rescued me and promised he would dispatch the rabbit.

I think now, thanks to you folks, I could dispatch that rabbit without any problem, but it has taken me a long time to get here.

Well the kids saw the chicken killed with their own eyes. They explained in grave detail about the hawk.

If exposed to death at an early age, it is far less traumatic. I would have been in the same position as you and that rabbit five years ago.

I really think it is an individual thing, and most of how the child will take it depends on how the adults handle it. If the adults act like it is a normal, everyday event and take the time to explain what is happening, I think most children will not be traumatized. In fact, a large percentage will be fascinated and want to play with the parts. Last Saturday I got together with a few friends to do in some excess roosters, and one of the kids was entertaining us by having a dance competition between the headless, featherless carcasses that were waiting to be gutted. It was darn funny, too.

OTOH, my mother was raised on backyard chickens and fish and game, and she will not have any part of processing chickens. She does not want me to tell her which bird is which. But she sure loves eating the birds I raise. She brags to her friends about how good they taste.

I think if it is a humane process and the children's feelings are respected, it will be fine for most children. There will be a few who cannot handle it, but that is true for almost everything. There are some children who cannot handle it if their food touches on their plate. There are some who will have a melt down if their daily routine is disrupted. Childhood is full of little traumas that teach us how to deal with the big traumas.

I agree! It's so individual to the person that one never knows who will have trouble with and who will not. Some start out fine and then grow older and cannot handle it, some can't handle it when young but life hands them a lot of lessons that make it more natural. I've seen all kinds of reactions when it comes to death and it's not often based on early childhood exposure..it's just different strokes for different folks, is all.

I always have that reaction when I see something suffering...particularly an animal that is injured and you cannot help it. Makes me almost frantic! Although, I have the same reaction when I have a patient in pain and I cannot get it under control...inside I'm screaming and crying...outside I'm finding quick solutions and I don't stop until I do. I guess it all comes down to natural ability...some are born musically inclined, others can't carry a note in a bucket nor even figure out what a note is. Some are born with rhythm, some born with wonderful mathematical skill....I can't play a note, nor dance, and just got by in math. No amount of trying to force me to be good at it can make me really good at those things. Oh, I can practice and I can learn, but it will never come to me naturally.

I was born with deep compassion and a heart for suffering...but also God gave me a practical mind that works towards good solutions for helping that suffering. It's just one of those things a person is born with, I'm thinking. Some can learn it later but it will never come natural to them, just like music, math or dancing. And that's okay! We all have jobs to do in this life and are often uniquely designed for a natural capacity for those jobs and that is wonderful.

My children have been at the very least, exposed to processing game and fish since birth. I introduced them all to fishing by the age of 3. Fishing is different than processing chickens though. Today my youngest son (12) wanted to wield the killing knife after he saw it done a couple times. I didn't think he would have the muscle to get the job done quickly and humanely so I put him off at least for this time. We still have 25 CX to do next month so maybe then. But I did find that his hands were the perfect size to reach into the cavity and clean out the innards. He took to that with great interest as he was able to examine all of the internal organs as I explained what they were and how it worked. It was a great experience for all. I love to teach them things about life and how to take care of themselves.

Here is a pic of the kill cone I made yesterday. I fashioned it out of a piece of black stove pipe. I folded/twisted it into a cone shape the drilled holes and pop riveted it in place. I then mounted it to a steel stake.

My Godson helped with processing today. He is almost 7. I was a bit hesitant at first, him being so young, but after watching for several birds he was ready to help a bit. He would carry the dressed birds inside and helped catch the roos. And for the final bird he removed both feet! he was so proud of himself and we all had a great experience with him!

Back
Top Bottom