Processing to Cooking

Aquira

Crowing
Jul 14, 2020
What are the in-between steps? There's ice baths, salt brine, sitting in the fridge? When they mention resting in the fridge - is it in liquid or no?
I'm going to try to process some quail soon. But how soon after dispatching can they be consumed?
Some people mentioned adding spices to a salt brine. Is this similar to a marinade or something different?
Please help, I'm so out of my league here.

i only rest quail for 24-36 hours due to smaller size. I sometimes rest them in saltwater or vacuum seal them and rest in the refrigerator before freezing. brine recipes may be used during resting or prior to cooking but aren’t absolutely necessary for quail. some people consume immediately. in that case I would recommend brining for a minimum of 6 hours prior to cooking.

I have read that you should let the meat rest in the fridge for 24 hours before cooking or freezing (because of rigor mortis), but also seen people cook the meat the same day...

Any experts that can chime in? :)

I don't withhold feed. My thoughts are that they are giving their lives to feed me, so I give them the best life I can. It's easier to butcher if their crops are empty, but I just can't do it.

Back
Top Bottom