Production Red vs. Rhode Island Red

Quote:
Good, well there's hope for me. I think our mixed breed-straight run gave us 4 roos out of 6 (maybe?). Hopefully one will be a sweetheart (as we ate our 2 BR roos - 'cause they were mean cuss's).

Quote:
When I say real RIRs, I mean ones NOT sold at hatcheries and feedstores, but instead by breeders. They're a lot more "dual purpose-y" they're much more attractive, have a better body, are darker and shinier in color, and so on. . . They're also hard to find, unlike hatchery stock reds.

I have 2 pairs of red hens with big differences one pair is smaller with tall tails darker red an rose combs the other pair are larger lighter red with blunt tails an rose combs any ideas ???

I tend to favor the production reds over the RIR- have had both. Hens were all docile with both sets, however the roos- RIR is a more aggressive bird! Our old RIR roo Archie was a kind bird till some kids came by one day and picked at him- he turned MEAN. He attacked me several times- had huge puncture wounds on my legs from his spurs....... the production red roos we had before were always gentle and laid back.

Production Reds are RIRxNew Hampshire Reds.

A Rhode Island Red crossed with a New Hampshire isn't a Production Red.

With the more common Single Comb Rhode Island Red you get variations and other breeds..
Production Reds, "Hatchery" Reds, New Hampshire, Sex-Linked etc. Now from those variations and breeds you can get more variations and breeds....
The New Hampshire, "Hatchery" Rhode Island Reds and Production Reds where developed solely (no other breed added) from the Rhode Island Red. Now there are some people say that there is a variation of the Production Red breed that has Leghorn blood added to it.....

Chris
There is truth in both of these statements. Because Production Reds are hybrids and not true breeds, there is no actual standard definition for them, although it's common knowledge that the cross starts with RIRs and NHRs. For this reason, hatcheries usually refer to RIRs and NHRs are the breeds used in producing their Production Reds. Good examples would be Cackle Hatchery (http://www.cacklehatchery.com/productionredpage.html) and Ideal Poultry (http://www.idealpoultry.com/item.html). As Chris09 has pointed out however, there are frequently traces of Leghorn in them as well. Rooster Hill Farm: The Farm Report (http://roosterhilltx.blogspot.com/2008/06/farm-report-what-is-production-red-and.html) defines Production Reds as follows: "What is a Production Red Chicken? A Production Red is a cross of a Rhode Island Red, New Hamshire Red & a Leghorn. However, some sites say it's just a cross between the RIR and the NHR."
I have had both Rhode Island Reds and Production Reds in the past, and might Production Reds might have been slightly the better layers, but the difference was practically insignificant. For sheer egg production, my Sex Links have outlayed either of them.

I prefer Production reds.Rhode island reds CAN be mean.Breed is.I like production reds because they are GREAT egg layers,BIG brown eggs.Very nice!GREAT for companionship.Most of I love them for them!Never really cared for RIR's,but I got 1 and shes okay,but never trust that breed.LESSON learned!I have a hen named Little red.Shes nice,but my newhamp tried beating on her and she got it.So they are good protectors.Possibly good mothers.I never have had 1 go broody its rare,but I say they are good mothers.RIRS are VERY caring.Mines had a sister they would bully the rest and sometimes eachother.But they were true blooded!1 died from heat.The sister couldn't survive with out her.She sat down depressed.I believe that day she died.Most of the flock died because of SO many dieng.The flock loved eachother.After that we got more.Then more.I picked 5 PRs.Now when you thinka bout both breeds are good just ones meaner.So good luck with the breeds!

Production Reds are no more than Reds from hatcheries. That is it. There is no formula, certain breed crosses, etc. Ideal advertises their Production Reds as crosses of the NH and Rhode Island Red. There may be some truth in it, but the truth is that they are single combed red birds with yellow legs.

The comments on behavior are a bit misguided. "Manfighters" can be found in any breed, but is more about the source than the breed. It is a heritable trait that gets perpetuated if tolerated. It is a rare trait in well bred birds of any breed. It is rather common otherwise.

It is misleading to perpetuate false assumptions.

Troy, I assure you that your birds did not die from depression. They do not experience emotions on the same level as ourselves. If the first one died from the heat, then they all likely died from the heat.

Back
Top Bottom