Prognosis for chicken with possible cage fatigue?

CathyB59

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 21, 2011
SE Montana
I have a 7 month old Barred Rock pullet who may have cage fatigue (my pullets are confined in the winter). I see no signs of injury (no wounds or obvious swelling), but she can barely support her weight on her right leg and spends most of her time laying down. I have separated her from the other chickens and have started feeding her Vitamin D and oyster shells with her food. She seems to be eating and drinking normally and I have put her food and water where she can easily reach them while she is laying down. Is there anything else I should be doing? Anyone know if she will recover or will I have to cull her?

Has she laid an egg yet? She might be eggbound. If that's the case, place her in a container of warm water up to her sides and massage her underside while in the water for about 20 minutes.

Yes, she has been laying almost every day for about a month. Other than not being able to walk, she is acting fine. Still laying, no diarrhea, not lethargic.
idunno.gif

I was thinking bumblefoot, but being caged I dont see how that could happen. She mustve somehow pulled a ligament or tendon. Have you let her out of the cage to see if she can walk? She also may have been picked on by other birds in the cage. Being cooped up that long in close quarters will cause fights, therefore injuries could occur.

Back
Top Bottom