Prolapse or Swollen Vent? Baby Chick

HootWhite

Chirping
Aug 12, 2023
Buckner, KY
This happened overnight and chick is still pooping, eating and drinking. It is lethargic at times and not running around with the other flock.

Any recommendations? I have tried to push the tissue back in, it doesn’t appear to go back. It also appears to be leaking fluid. I’ve put witch hazel on the area.

Attachments

• IMG_5556.jpeg
    IMG_5556.jpeg
    392.6 KB · Views: 31
It is confirmed prolapse. The witch hazel reduced the swelling and tightness was able to gently use a q tip to get the tissue back inside the vent. Will be monitoring throughout the day.

Glad the prolapse is better. That was a pretty bad one for a baby chick. Hydrocortisone cream or honey can also help reduce swelling of a prolapse. If the chick is constipated or having pasty butt, oil the vent and give a few drops of olive oil mixed with a little raw egg.

Hope she's doing better. Is she eating and drinking normally. Is she able to poop normally. I hope her swelling stays inside. Does she call out in pain when she goes poo? Keep us posted on how's she doing. I had one with a bit of pasty butt and had to keep cleaning her off. I was concerned about prolapse but thankfully she healed up and was able to go poop without pain after a few days. Let us know how she progresses. Best wishes

Chick has covered, it came out shortly after for the second time. I have observed her poop and not in pain. Today she is eating and running around with the 15 others. Almost 24 hours since the prolapse and all seems on the up and up.

Chick has covered, it came out shortly after for the second time. I have observed her poop and not in pain. Today she is eating and running around with the 15 others. Almost 24 hours since the prolapse and all seems on the up and up.
Glad to hear she's doing well! That's great news! Keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom