Prolapse vent? Help!

Mamashe

Hatching
Feb 10, 2024
can anyone help me please! I suspect this is a prolapse vent? I’m very new to this but this is the second bird thats died and looks identical to this. Opened wings all up and no mites or anything… thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_8255.jpeg
    IMG_8255.jpeg
    487.1 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_8254.jpeg
    IMG_8254.jpeg
    406.6 KB · Views: 9
Are your chickens pecking each other or could it be a predator? Vent pecking can be something they do if overcrowded or bored from not getting outside to roam around. Also, what are you feeding? A balanced chicken feed, layer or flock raiser type feed is best, 16-20% protein. If a hen has a prolapse, the red tissue can attract pecking and cannibalism if not discovered soon. Can you describe your coop set up, how many birds, how much space? Are they locked up securely at night?

I think you’re correct with cannibalism. I’m worried now that they have the taste of blood that it’s going to continue and I don’t know how to stop that.
My coop is 10x10 with a 30ft run. There’s no chance of predators as we have a full floor in the coop, and steel dug all around the run at least 2ft into the ground. They go out almost everyday from 10-5 presuming it’s not insanely cold as I live in Alberta and some of the temps is -25C.
I feed them a textured layer 17%.
I’ll attach photos of the coop too.

Attachments

• IMG_3265.jpeg
    IMG_3265.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3268.jpeg
    IMG_3268.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3292.jpeg
    IMG_3292.jpeg
    932.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3282.jpeg
    IMG_3282.jpeg
    401 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3267.jpeg
    IMG_3267.jpeg
    435.8 KB · Views: 7
I would spend some time with the flock observing behavior. Watch for any feather picking. There could be a bully or more than one. If chickens see red, such as a prolapse, they will attack and peck it. The more things they have to distract or climb on the better. If there is one bully, some people use pinless peeper sold online to keep the bully from seeing the target.

Back
Top Bottom