Prolapsed vent and constipation in 12 day old chick. What do I do?

Chickole

In the Brooder
Oct 11, 2023
SoCal Mountains
She was fine last night and this morning she had this. I cleaned it and most of the poo. She pooped while cleaning and it was very hard. Should I isolate alone or with another chick? What topicals or cleaning can I put on it? Is there anything I can feed her to help. They’re eating medicated start and grow.

I noticed that most of the poo was pure white that was below her vent but when she poo’d it was brown.

Attachments

• IMG_9623.jpeg
    IMG_9623.jpeg
    459.1 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_9622.jpeg
    IMG_9622.jpeg
    309.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_9626.jpeg
    IMG_9626.jpeg
    416.8 KB · Views: 12
You could try another chick with her if you have them where you can watch them like a hawk to be sure its buddy doesn't peck it. I'd worry about that. You can put some vaseline or coconut oil or something like that on it to keep it moist.

In case you need more help with that, here's a similar person's chick and the reply that may help you. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/chick-prolapse.1580597/

You may want to try giving some probiotics. We use Hydro Hen in their water for a day regardless.

Last edited:
You could try another chick with her if you have them where you can watch them like a hawk to be sure its buddy doesn't peck it. I'd worry about that. You can put some vaseline or coconut oil or something like that on it to keep it moist.

In case you need more help with that, here's a similar person's chick and the reply that may help you. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/chick-prolapse.1580597/

You may want to try giving some probiotics. We use Hydro Hen in their water for a day regardless.
Thank you! I’ll do that. I have probiotics but only one drinker for them. Is it okay if that’s the only source of water? I read that there should be two with one being pure water but I don’t have another at the moment.

I put in a buddy that I haven’t noticed pecking others so hopefully it’s okay. I haven’t noticed any pecking except the constipated chick pecking herself.

Update: I noticed the chick pecking her so I had to remove her. I feel bad because she can’t see her flock (she’s in a plastic bin) but she’s right next to them so she can hear everything. Her bum is looking a lot less red so that’s good.

Also, her poo isn’t hard anymore! I think she was clogged up.

It’s getting worse.. she’s picking at it and now her feathers are gone. She has a few bumps on the top of her feathers as well. I noticed the coconut oil wasn’t helping so I did olive oil instead.

Could she have infection? Should I buy antibiotics? I run her bum in the sink with warm water every day then clean with tissue and add oil. My other chicks are doing fine.

Attachments

• IMG_9739.jpeg
    IMG_9739.jpeg
    422.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_9740.jpeg
    IMG_9740.jpeg
    449.2 KB · Views: 10
Does her poo look normal? Is she eating the bedding? We give them the tiniest bit of grit once a day. She’s religiously pecking her butt. Do I need to cull?

Attachments

• IMG_9744.jpeg
    IMG_9744.jpeg
    568.2 KB · Views: 11
Sometimes culling is the best thing to do. Added stress to yourself and maybe even the flock is never good. It’ll hurt for a few days but you’ll move on.

Back
Top Bottom