Prolapsed vent AND I found 14 soft-shelled eggs all stuck together

I am sorry. You are in a tough spot. There are many different ways to end a bird’s life. And likewise, people have different feelings for different birds.

I am the only chicken keeper at my house and I have ended the life of a handful of birds. After reading this article and watching this video many months ago, I decided this would be the way I would end the life of any chicken I needed to. I wrap my chicken in a towel and lay it in my lap. This way is a more peaceful way IMHO.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...vestock-and-respectful-chicken-harvest.72871/

My 16 month old hen has always been kind of weird looking. Her butt always hangs low and she waddles. She also always lays eggs with no shell- but rarely lays at all. So obviously something has been off since she hatched. Anyway, this morning I found 14 soft shelled eggs in the coop. A few were not stuck to the others, but for the most part it was a huge line of soft eggs. And her vent is prolapsed. She just looks a mess and I don't really know what to do. Obviously she has internal issues since she has never produced a hard egg and now she laid all these at once. I don't know what I should do! I'm attaching pics of her butt and the eggs. They were all laid at once so obviously they were collecting inside her.View attachment 1666454 View attachment 1666460
I'm very sorry to hear about your hen:hugs

I have never seen anything like this on BYC either. I agree, it would be best to put her down. The prolapse is quite pronounced and since she has never laid a hard shelled egg, I would take a guess that she had a reproductive development problem from the get go.
Even if you were able to get the prolapse back in, the soft shelled eggs and continue to prolapse, I would also suspect that she is laying internally.
So sorry that the outlook for your lady is bleak, sometimes there is just no way to "fix" these things.

Thanks everybody. I am waiting for my husband to get home and he will cull her. I don't want her to suffer anymore. :(
On a less sad note, one of my leghorns laid her first egg today. :)
I know it's hard, letting them go. But I'm glad you're able to make it better for her. :hugs
Sending lots of love and support!

Congratulations on the first egg! Those are always eggciting :yesss: (Pardon my horrible humor).

Back
Top Bottom