Prolapsed vent

Keep it smeared with the antibiotic ointment
i am glad its getting smaller. Do you think the scab is poop hardened or maybe is a sore. To me it looks like hard poop in the picture. I read sugar helps reduce the swelling as well. Keep putting the prolapse in and hold it in.
smile.png
your doing a great job.
I got a bigger hunk of the stuff off after this last soak. I gently pushed everything back in there and held it. It stayed in longer than normal but not sure how long it will last. Taking each day as it comes.

JuJube2 I hope your girl gets better!

I was able to get a better photo today. We have soaked her in warm water with epsom salts, baking soda, peroxide and betadine and have massaged the area with olive oil. After drying her, applied an antifungal cream and separated her from the flock in a warm semi-dark place. She is eating greens, yogurt, drinking water with cider vinegar and garlic and moving around. After researching a few sites, it looks to be more vent gleet than prolapse. She is moving the vent which is still soft, no smell, just a small amount of what looked like yeast before the soak. After the soak all areas were a bright pink. I'm not positive it is gleet, but a good cleansing and added pampering can't hurt.

love.gif

If you clean her again , just do the Epsom salt bath.

Diahrea can be caused by many things, sour or impacted crop, coccidios, worms, the list goes on. Check her crop in the morning to make sure its completely flat to rule out sour or impacted crop. Do an internal exam to check for egg bound. What is her age?

Use probiotics in her food and water, yogurt can give diahrea. My hen couldn't handle it.

Deworm and treat her for mites, this is very important. Use safeguard or Valbazen.

Last edited:
Great news: the hunk of poo came off this morning. I was really beginning to get discouraged and didn't have time for a full soaking this morning, but I cleaned her up while I was cleaning as gently but as firmly as possible I worked at it and it came off
celebrate.gif

After clean up I was able get everything pushed back in even further than I have before and it held for at least 30-45 minutes, hopefully longer. Will have to wait until tonight to see.
Despite being kept in the dark for about 20 hours, she continues to lay eggs. I hope that she will not lay today and things hold.
fl.gif

Great news: the hunk of poo came off this morning. I was really beginning to get discouraged and didn't have time for a full soaking this morning, but I cleaned her up while I was cleaning as gently but as firmly as possible I worked at it and it came off :celebrate
After clean up I was able get everything pushed back in even further than I have before and it held for at least 30-45 minutes, hopefully longer. Will have to wait until tonight to see. 
Despite being kept in the dark for about 20 hours, she continues to lay eggs. I hope that she will not lay today and things hold. :fl
That is great news. :celebrate , keeping my fingers crossed.

Last edited:
I am one happy chicken mama! It held all day. Hopefully she won't lay tomorrow either to give her another day !!!! Thanks to all of you for the help.

Did her prolapse stay in?
I am happy to say I spent the day getting her back with the other girls and getting them back outside. I plan to keep a very close eye on her, but she laid yesterday and it stayed in. I was such a happy mama I almost cried. Now I just have to get my girl with a hurt foot or leg nursed back to health.

Back
Top Bottom