Prolapsed vents on multiple chicks

LongRanch

Chirping
Apr 17, 2016
I'm not sure what is going on or what to do. I hatched around 30 chicks two days ago, and since then I've had four chicks develop prolapsed vents.. One died this morning. Three of the four are rumpless araucana. The fourth is an easter egger. I noticed the day they hatched that I had a lot of pasty butts and thought it was unusual but didn't really think much of it. Nothing has changed, other than these were shipped eggs (and I've shipped from this breeder before and had no issues). I'm using the same feed (unmedicated). I've been having two hatches a week and these are the only ones with this issue. I've sat and watched for hours and the only time I've seen picking is after the prolapse has occurred, so I don't think it is another chick causing it. I've separated the affected chicks.One as stopped being able to poop on it's own and they keep peeping. :( I'm scared I'm going to lose all of my araucanas. I have Germe-zone in the water. I've been applying hemorrhoid cream and trying to push the vent back in with a q-tip. It just pops back out. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not sure what is going on or what to do. I hatched around 30 chicks two days ago, and since then I've had four chicks develop prolapsed vents.. One died this morning. Three of the four are rumpless araucana. The fourth is an easter egger. I noticed the day they hatched that I had a lot of pasty butts and thought it was unusual but didn't really think much of it. Nothing has changed, other than these were shipped eggs (and I've shipped from this breeder before and had no issues). I'm using the same feed (unmedicated). I've been having two hatches a week and these are the only ones with this issue. I've sat and watched for hours and the only time I've seen picking is after the prolapse has occurred, so I don't think it is another chick causing it. I've separated the affected chicks.One as stopped being able to poop on it's own and they keep peeping. :( I'm scared I'm going to lose all of my araucanas. I have Germe-zone in the water. I've been applying hemorrhoid cream and trying to push the vent back in with a q-tip. It just pops back out. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Any photos?

Try to keep their vents cleared the best you can. You may want to check your brooder temps just to make sure they are not getting too hot, some chicks surprising do better with cooler temps than the "standard" 90-95F first week, etc.

For prolapse you may want to soak their vent or place a compress soaked in epsom salts to help reduce swelling. Apply your hemorrhoid cream and let it absorb in for a little while to reduce the swelling more, then try gently pushing the prolapse in. If the prolapse is too swollen, it won't stay in. If it keeps coming out, then keep the tissue moist with cream/ointment.

I'm not familiar with Germe-Zone, so had to look that up. Just a quick search, it does sound interesting to use, so I'm not questioning you on the use here...my thoughts was it is used "For Simple Diarrhea and Bowel Trouble" among other things. I'm wondering if it constipating(?) You may want to separate the prolapsed chicks (especially the one who isn't pooping) and offer plain water with a little molasses added in ONCE. Molasses has a laxative effect - see if that helps the stopped up little one.

It's also possible that the prolapses, since it's all basically from one hatch/breed - it could be genetic or there could have been a problem with hatch, etc.

Offer some chick grit (crushed granite) as well. Even if you are only feeding chick starter, this can sometimes be helpful in processing the feed. Watch to see that they are drinking too.

Keep us posted.

https://www.drugs.com/vet/germe-zone-can.html

Back
Top Bottom