Pros and Cons for using sand

In going to Be ordering sad any day now, one last question!! I have two coops, one is an extension to my pole barn , 16 by 27 or so and the other 12 x 16 or so, the larger has concrete floor and the smaller is a converted shed with painted wood flooring. When using sand as bedding does flooring matter?? My husband said the sand will not be good in the ine with wood flooring ( but he likes to pretend he knows things), and my uncle said the concrete flooring would need insulation of some sort before the sand is layed down. I do live in Michigan so we get into 90s in summer and just below 0 for part of the winter.. Isay they are both being over cautious.. What do you guys think?

I have sand on my wood floor. There is industrial wall paper over the wood but it is just to make yearly full clean out easier. Sand does get under it directly on floor.

Last edited:
I use linoleum on top of our wood floor (concrete is too heavy and too difficult to clean well). The linoleum is a breeze to clean and there are never any concerns about wood rot.
This is what the linoleum looked like after scooping most of the sand out of the coop for the annual sand replacement. I hadn't even scrubbed it yet, which goes to show how effective sand is in keeping the coop dry. If moisture were a problem, the sand couldn't be swept up and there would be poop stuck to the linoleum.

THAT IS A GREAT IDEA..!!! RIGHT ON....!!!!
thumbsup.gif
I use linoleum on top of our wood floor (concrete is too heavy and too difficult to clean well). The linoleum is a breeze to clean and there are never any concerns about wood rot.
This is what the linoleum looked like after scooping most of the sand out of the coop for the annual sand replacement. I hadn't even scrubbed it yet, which goes to show how effective sand is in keeping the coop dry. If moisture were a problem, the sand couldn't be swept up and there would be poop stuck to the linoleum.

I didn't read the whole thread so I'm sorry if I'm repeating something. My coops is all sand and the only drawback I've found is the stick right fleas. They're easily controlled by spraying the coop with a home insecticide once a year. I love it. Wouldn't have it any other way.

we have particle board wood floor,in the hen house and its cleaned out every month or so, we hire a day worker and he does a great job..! so for $10.00 an hour we get the whole place cleaned well...! we also have 2 giant wet dry vacs, they look like R2 D2
lol.png
, we vacuumed out the chick's play pen when they were little and now we use R2 D2 to vacuum out the nest boxes and replace the straw when ever necessary ,
thumbsup.gif

So, can I use the Quikrete all-purpose sand then? I kind of live in the middle of nowhere, so being able to purchase sand in bags may be my only option.

I use construction sand . course type. that is for concrete. I have a designated area where there is this sand. Sand is not all I have. Most of area is just earth. On top of earth soil I spread out grass clippings during summer which dries and turns into hay. This concrete sand around here they call it torpedo. Don't know why such name ??? Have used it for many years and have had NO PROBLEMS.. Washed sand is construction grade sand that I HAVE USED IN MASONRY BRICKLAYING, It is washed to provide better consistency in masonry mix texture. This masonry sand is finer than the course concrete grade. I have not used this for my chickens because always had enough of the course available. There was no difference in price when I purchased it at the supply yard. I did buy it by the cubic yard for construction purposes. If your chickens are eating SO much sand. ( and I am not directing this at you candylandranch, just those that said that their chickens had BAD results from sand.) then try giving them more food. I don't see my chickens eating the sand at all. They scratch thru it and dust in it.
Now as to birdman55 suggesting washed masonry sand. Many here on this thread suggest using sand more course. I agree with the many. birdman55 also says that play box sand we buy for our children is manufactured sand and implied that it contains glass particles. I took that seriously and started researching it quite deeply. SO FAR I HAVE NOT FOUND ANYTHING TO SUBSTANTIATE THAT TO BE SO. I really do want to find the source of that claim. Please post that information source if you find it. I can see Personal Injury attorneys filing class action lawsuits against such sand manufacturers if it was DANGEROUS. (to our children of course, not chickens. ). There are many different types of sands worldwide. All depends on what type of rock was crushed and eroded over time to make it. It then ended up in concentrated amounts that we refer to as quarries. Under the microscope it may look like sharp little bandits . reason is because many of these sands are from crystalline sources such a quarts.
http://safemama.com/2009/05/18/faq-whats-the-deal-with-play-sand/
here is a good read for better understanding....and yet another reason y you dont want your birds in something like this....they even started labeling the "play sand" as carcinogenic..."Some brands of sand even contain asbestos tremloite which can put you and kids at risk of lung cancer"...i surely wouldnt put my birds in no play sand....
another reason to not use play sand
https://www.osha.gov/OshDoc/data_General_Facts/crystalline-factsheet.pdf
here is another good one
http://www.safbaby.com/is-crystalline-silica-and-asbestos-in-play-sand-harmful/
and another good site
http://non-toxickids.net/2008/05/safer-play-sand.html
i heard the glass comment from a reliable breeder that has been breeding for 25 years...with expensive birds...so i just listened....i know that glass is made mostly of sand when heated....but have nothing i can throw out for proof on the play sand and glass...but this above should be well enough to keep kids and animals away from play sand.

So I recently invested in 6 cubic yards of sand for my large coop. We live in Michigan and its spring so it's been rainy. The Sand was not dry when he loaded it into the coop, but we thought it would dry better inside of the coop than it would continually being rained on in our driveway. And it's been a week and the sand will not dry!! I have been stirring it, adding sweet pdz, I have a dehumidifier going constantly, I added a box fan today. How do I dry this sand!!! It's driving me nuts, I have 18 chickens ready to go in there!
My only last idea is to shovel it to one end and slowly lay small portions of it out onto the other side and add to it as is dries..
Any ideas? I've got to get these chickens out of my laundry room lol.

Back
Top Bottom