Protecting a Chicken Tractor

Chicken Bff

Songster
6 Years
May 20, 2016
Missouri
I've designed this chicken tractor. I was wanting to use it for my free range flock, I just wasn't sure how I could predator proof it, I have coyotes, opossums, raccoons, and whatever I haven't seen yet. Any advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Design.png
    Design.png
    22.1 KB · Views: 32
Use hardware cloth with 1/4" openings. Any larger and weasels can sneak through and wipe out the whole flock. Use larger wire (1" to 2") openings fastened securely on the bottom to protect birds but allow foraging. Use a latch that requires some sort of "locking" mechanism to prevent coons from opening it.
To secure wire use 1/2" staples.

If you put wire on the bottom, that will negate the benefit of a tractor. My suggestion: run electric fencing around a portion of your yard, and keep the tractor in that perimeter. This would not be weasel proof, though. You could build some aprons that could be lifted up when tractor is moved, then dropped down when tractor is not moving. Depending on how uneven your ground is, you'll have to be creative with weighting down your skirt to keep critters from going under it.

I've had them before, but I got rid of them earlier this year after I moved. Now I'm making a new thing to keep them in at my new house.

Yeah I would skip the tractor if it's only for nighttime and build a permanent coop. Or if you can't make it permanent (i.e. you're renting) then put the structure on wheels so it could be moved if needed.

Back
Top Bottom