protection from hawks

OMarshall

Hatching
6 Years
Nov 28, 2013
We recently were given two roosters, approximately 4-5 months old. I have noticed a red-tail hawk closer to the backyard now. Hate to leave them in the coop, but wondering if roosters eventually get to the point where they can fend for themselves with the hawks.

My coop has a run, which I put a netting over top of it. Very easy to do, very cheap. Though honestly, I haven't had a hawk even think about going after my chickens. Though they are all very grown and large. Otherwise when they were younger they stayed in their run.

If chickens have shelter, they can hide when needed. I think that smaller chickens are more likely to be prey to a hawk, because the small ones can be carried away.

All of my chickens are mature, including the big rooster. We have hawks around from time to time. Often the crows will run them off. We have seen them sitting on the roof of the shop, just watching.

If alerted, my chickens can usually reach shelter within 15 or so feet. The rooster stands out and appears to be on guard. I haven't lost any to a hawk, but I don't worry about it.

The rooster would probably be the first casualty.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom