Protection with Poultry/Livestock Guardian Dogs

I was wrong on the age of my Pyreneese on my first post. He is only 8.5 months and not 10. I took him to the vet this week for a rabies booster and to get a weight. He was 82 lbs. I will get his rabies every 6 months just becaused he is so exposed every night. I live in Texas so we have rabies comming over from the Mexican border. I got him at 6 weeks and let him bond with my family along with my birds. Some people say not to do that but I am not going to have such a big dog with kids that doesn't love my kids and other kids. My 3 year old son broke the child lock off the back door a few weeks ago and took off outside. My dog was barking like he does when something is wrong. I went out to see and there he was with my son letting us know he was outside without and adult. The dog at only 8 months knew the little boy was never alone outside! He let us know! He was supper busy last night as the cyotes were trying to get to the birds and he held them off from different directions. They were close, within 150 yards to the coop. I went out and helped him but couldn't get a shot off but did keep they cyotes away. Mouse is a great dog already and will never be without a guardian dog!

Neither Buddy or Sheba are food aggressive...accept towards the poultry that try to steal their dog food. Our 11 year old daughter Danyelle feeds the dogs in the mornings and Nicole, almost 6, feeds them in the evenings. I will take over Sheba's care for a few weeks. But the pups will be exposed to the kids as much as the birds. I have heard of coyotes trying to attack small children. You really want a P/LGD that will protect the property, not just the stock. Buddy and Sheba doesn't like the mailman or the UPS man. They love our 4H parents that drop by.

Neighbor's dog is back! Guess I better go check on Buddy. With Sheba in the stall he is working alone for a few days.

Jacob came inside. Seems a log truck drove by and Buddy did not like the noise. At least I know both my flock and my children are safe.

Quote:
Fantastic!!!!!!!!! How exciting - a late Christmas present for sure. Mom looks like she's still in labor and has that slightly out of focus, lost in her birthing hormone state still. Good luck, let us know how it all goes.

Quote:
I have a friend at Holland, TX that raises LGDs if you need a second pup.

I know wher there is a litter right now and another due in Jan. I want another but need to talk the wife into it! Man, she doesn't even work and I have to clear everything with her!! it's like wer are married or something!
hugs.gif

Sheba had 10 puppies!

However, we had to have a C-section for the last 8. One got turned wrong. We lost all but one and my wife is caring for her.

First time moms are always risky. We have had to hand feed pups before, just not an LGD pup. Sheba is doing great. just sad, seeing her looking for her pups.

Here is the only pup, a female, that we were able to save. We are using a tote brooder for its housing and a heating pad/towel at feeding times. The entire family is helping to feed it. This photo was taken at about 3am this morning. It was my wife's turn.

Here is Sadie:

47716_sadie.jpg

47716_sadie_eating.jpg

Wow, that's intense. How much longer does this beautiful little newbie need you to care for her through the night? Are you planning to sell her, because I imagine that's going to be a tough parting after all of this time spent caring for her. She is so small and helpless looking! Congratulations to momma! One live, healthy baby is all that I've ever been able to birth at a time and let me tell you, that's tough enough and something to be proud of!!!!!!!
Best of luck to you and your family and keep up the good work nursing this little one thorough these first critical days. She is absolutely adorable.

Sadie started sucking a normal nipple today. Wife has already decided to keep her. Guess three P/LGDs are better than two. Sheba is doing well....just a little sad. We may try letting the pup nurse Sheba in the morning. She started crying this evening so Catherine brought her into the bedroom and placed her on the heat pad. She would squirm until she reached one of us and then fall to sleep. We placed a small fuzzy pillow in the brooder tote and she thinks its her sibling or something.

Back
Top Bottom