Providing Clean and Safe Water

zimileih

Songster
Mar 28, 2021
Hello, I've tried a few different things for water. I have had luck with DIY buckets with nipples on it, but noticed the buckets were green at the end of the summer. I have used the water jug types that use gravity, but those are also plastic and tend to get slimy. I've had most luck with the galvanized gravity waterer, but my smaller one rusted out when I dumped it to put water in in the morning and over night the little bit of water left over rusted it. So that's $30 down the drain. I have the larger one and a bucket waterer right now but I want them to have more drinking locations without me buying things that get thrown out after a month or two.

What recommendations do you guys have? I am interested in the pvc pipe type waterers with nipples on them, do these work well and do they have problems with algae? Does anyone have tips or tricks for getting a longer lasting waterers that can provide safe and clean water?

Do you scrub out the dish in between water changes? I’m not really sure if there’s any solution that will be 100% algae free without adding chemicals that probably shouldn’t be consumed, and even then, will only slow the growth of said algae.
What @JacinLarkwell said is true - keeping whatever you use out of sunlight is going to be the most effective in keeping your dishes clean. I use a covered bucket with horizontal nipples, it’s white plastic but quite thick and has a cord that can be stowed away when not needing to heat the water during the winter. Easy to clean and I’ve not had to scrub out algae often because I keep it in the shade (the chickens like having cooler water too).

I just use 1 gallon and 5 gal plastic waterers. They get algae over the summer, I just wash them with a little bleach and dawn each spring and fall. If it is real bad mid summer I just use a scrubby and rince it off. I also keep them well off the ground on cinder blocks or hanging close to lower neck level from chains. My chickens havent complained yet lol.

Last edited:
Me? I don't scrub unless they are left in the sun and start growing things. The mud and poop can just be rinsed out and they usually drink enough I can just add more water to the clean ones without it being stagnant
Unless it’s the middle of summer when I do see a little algae growth, my version of ‘scrub’ is swirl-and-dump, especially in the winter. I may rub the sides and rinse if it’s getting slimy but that’s usually only in summer. I do give it an actual scrubbing with dish soap when I’m doing an annual deep clean in the coop.

Algae is a problem with your water. Potentially aggravated by your buckets. Its not generally a problem unless its affecting the function of your nipples. I know its not great to look at, but in nature, your birds experience a lot of it.

Galvanized buckets I avoid on (numerous) general principles. Also, I find they don't hold up.

Chlorinated water (city source) will resist the formation of algae, at least a little. If you are on a well, as I am, that's not practical. The pH and mineral content of your water - city source or well - will also affect what naturally wants to live in the water, while time will help select for organisms that can successfully resist the typical chlorine levels, etc. Back when I lived in another area of FL< there was so much dissolved calcium in the water that invisible microorganisms would make tiny calcium shells, little white polyp looking things, all over the edge of the bowl. Worse in galvanized bowls, because they would pit the metal, and begin to recolonize from there every time the bowl was cleaned.

Finally, a lot of algae use UV light to power their existence - darker buckets help with that, considerably. Home Depot Blue is better than Lowe's Orange. White buckets fail faster - not only does more UV pass thru to feed the green, but the plastic itself fails to UV faster without the darker dyes to protect it. Yes, there are UV stabilizers that CAN be added to white plastic, but easier to find a colored bucket than one deliberately UV stabilized. Cheaper too.

Best bet? Dark, thick plastic with a lid. Periodic scrubbing with a strong oxygenate. and accepting that personal kitchen levels of sanitation are simpy impractical.

Great advice above, will add to keep anything out of the sun. The other reason is so the water stays cool for the chickens. They do not like warm or hot water.

The exception to that is if you live in a cold area. You can buy the black rubber bowls and put them in the sun, they will take longer to freeze in winter, so water stays liquid longer.

I remember reading that old copper pennies (Wheaties?) or small copper fittings help to discourage algae. Not sure if it’s true or safe for chickens.

Back
Top Bottom